Amherst began the Walk for Mental Health and CareFest in May 2018. These events are meant to raise awareness of mental health concerns, and bring the community together at the end of the year to celebrate and support well-being. Over 400 students, staff and faculty have participated in the Walk each year, raising funds to promote positive mental health on campus. A group of students and staff who were involved in planning the event determined that the monies raised would be used to support a Mental Health Awareness week each fall, and to create a Community Mental Fund that students, staff and faculty can apply for for projects that promote positive mental health on campus. Additional funds raised by subsequent walks will be added, and all unused funds will roll over to the following year.
Community Mental Health Fund Guidelines
- All current Amherst students, staff and faculty are eligible to apply for funding.
- Each request should have a minimum of two individuals who will be responsible for implementing the project. Preference will be given to applications that show collaboration with different constituencies within the campus.
- Applications are reserved for funding requests of no less than $500 and no more than $3,500.
- Requests are reviewed by a committee that meets biweekly during the academic year.
To submit a funding request:
- Please answer the following questions clearly and concisely. You may use bullet points. Your proposal should be at least 1-2 paragraphs and no more than one page. Please submit your proposal to Garrett Fitzgerald, Program Director for Mental Health Promotion email@example.com at least 2 business days prior to a committee meeting (dates below).
- What is the project? Please describe what you hope to do with the funds in 1-3 sentences.
- How will it promote positive mental health on campus? Please describe the anticipated benefits the project in 1-3 sentences.
- Who will implement this project? Please list the names and emails of those responsible for implementation.
- Please provide an estimated budget of the funds needed and how they will be used. (1-5 bullet points)
- When do you hope to complete the project? (date)
- Have you pursued any other funding sources for example, AAS or Student Activities funds?
Garrett Fitzgerald, Program Director for Mental Health Promotion
Robert Hayashi, Associate Professor of American Studies
Nicole Fortune '20, Active Minds
Eliza Laycok '20, Active Minds
Angelina Han '22, AAS
Sabrina Lin '21, Wellness Team