Reflecting on your values connects you to what you care about most, and reminds you of the kind of person you want to be. Writing about your values helps you recognize your own strengths and create a positive narrative about yourself, which can help you get through with stressful situations.
Activity: Take a moment to reflect on your values, and write down the three that feel most important to you right now. You may refer to this list https://thehappinessplanner.com/pages/list-of-core-values, or come up with your own values. Next, choose one value and write freely for 10 minutes about why it is important to you, how you express it in your daily life, and how you would like to express it in the future.
- Improves mental and physical health
- Makes people feel more capable of dealing with stress
- Increases sense of connection and empathy
- Improves work and academic performance
- Strengthens motivation to follow-through on personal goals
If you’d like to dramatically increase your likelihood of following through on this activity, answer these questions in writing or out loud to another person.
- How and when will you do this activity?
- What might get in the way—and how will you address these obstacles?