Title IX Coordinator,
Title IX Committee Chair
The Title IX team advises the President of the College on matters relating to the College's compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. These deal with nondiscrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities receiving or benefiting from federal financial assistance.
Specifically, the team is charged with monitoring, evaluating and determining if sex equity exists in the areas of Financial Aid, Student Housing, Admissions, Intercollegiate Athletics and Compensation, and with coordinating the College’s efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under Title IX, including the investigation of Title IX complaints.
The Title IX team ensures consistent application of the policy and allows the College to respond promptly and equitably to eliminate the misconduct, prevent its recurrence and address its effects. The Title IX team coordinates the review, investigation and resolution of reports and ensures that all appropriate interim measures are implemented.
College policy requires that any employee who receives a report of sexual misconduct bring the report to the Title IX Coordinator or a member of the Title IX team.
- Complaints against students will be resolved by the Student Complaint Process.
- Complaints against employees will be resolved by the Employee Complaint Process.
- Complaints against faculty will be resolved by the Faculty Complaint Process.
Each process is guided by the same principles of fairness and respect for all parties. Resources are available for students and employees, whether as Complainants or Respondents, to provide guidance throughout the investigation and resolution of the complaint.
- Laurie Frankl, Title IX Coordinator
- Lisa Rutherford, Chief Policy Officer and General Counsel
- John Carter, Chief of Amherst College Police
- Angie Tissi-Gassoway, Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion
- Catherine Epstein, Dean of Faculty
- Maria-Judith Rodriguez, Director of Human Resources