What To Do If A Friend Had Too Much To Drink

Consider The Following:

  1. Can they walk?
  2. Do they respond coherently?
  3. Are they breathing normally? (not as if they are trying to catch their breath or as if they are hardly breathing at all)
  4. If they are vomiting- is it free of blood, without gagging or dry heaves?
  5. If they appear to be sleeping, can they be roused (groaning, speaking)?
  6. Are you confident there is no physical evidence or report by self/others of other drug use (prescription, recreational or over the counter).
  7. Are you confident there is no physical evidence of recent or rapid consumption of large quantities of alcohol (i.e. drank a pint of vodka in the last hour)?
  8. Are you sure there isn't obvious physical injury?

If you answer "NO" to any of the above your friend may be at medical risk. Remember, it is always wise to err on the side of caution - it may save someone's life.

Immediate steps to take if you answered "NO" to any of the obove questions or are uncomfortable for any reason with the student's condition:

  1. Make sure the student is in a safe environment - free from possible physical injury.
  2. Call ACEMS ext. 2111
  3. Call Campus Police if there is concern for physical safety of the student or yourself or other students.
  4. Find your RC for help.


If You Need to Talk to Someone

The University of Massachusetts Center for Women & Community provides confidential rape crisis counseling to men and women, 24 hours a day, at (413) 545-0800.


See the Sexual Respect and Title IX website for additional contacts and more information.