Do you need a travel signature?

All F-1 and J-1 visa holders planning to travel abroad and request reentry to the US must have a valid travel signature (endorsement) on their I-20 or DS-2019 form.

In order for the signature to be considered "valid," it must be less than one year old at the time of your return. To request a travel signature, please follow the steps below.

  • Visit us during advising hours or email us to schedule an appointment as soon as you know your travel plans. Don't wait until the last minute!
  • Bring the following documents to your appointment: your passport with your visa (Canadian citizens will not have a visa stamp), your current I-20 or DS-2019, and a copy of your I-94.

Center for International Student Engagement (CISE) advising staff will confirm your current enrollment status and review your records, and then will provide the travel signature for you if everything is in order.