Proposals for new orgs will not be considered until the first three weeks of the Fall Semester 2018 as denoted by the College Academic Calendar. To register a new organization, please visit the Organizations page on The Hub. There will be a REGISTER AN ORGANIZATION button on the left side of the page. After clicking this button, there will be a Register New button at the bottom left of the page.
All proposals require a meeting to be scheduled by the Director of Student Activities to discuss criteria for final approval by peer committee. Criteria for consideration includes:
- Compliance with College student conduct policies.
- Non-duplication of the mission orientation and/or activities of an already established RSO.
- Concisely articulated objectives and goals of the proposed organization.
- Documented interest by at least ten students.
- Legitimate budgetary model by which the AAS and Student Activities can feasibly fund the organization's goals, projects, publications, and general annual costs.
- Objective plan for sustainability of the organization (i.e. ability to maintain active membership for three consecutive semesters).
- Adherence to Student Activities' non-discrimination policy by which all students have equal access to the organization (consideration given to audition-only organizations allowing opportunity for all students to audition).
- Demonstrable benefit to the Amherst College community.
- Demonstrable need for recognition based on benefits provided to recognized organizations (e.g. room reservations, Student Activities funding [all students may access AAS Discretionary Funding regardless of organizational affiliation], transportation resources).
For the effective organization and vision of your organization, it is important to have a well though out and articulated written Constitution. This document will serve as a guiding resource for future members and is the foundation by which the organization operates. Your constitution should include the following sections:
- Officers and Duties
- Election Procedure
- Organization Advisor/Coach (optional)
- Method for Amending
- Anti-Discrimination & Anti-Hazing Policy