The mission of the Queer Resource Center is to affirm, celebrate, and support the queer and transgender community at Amherst College. The QRC seeks to empower the lives of queer and trans people by honoring the intersections of their identities and by interrogating and interrupting heterosexism and cissexism. The QRC provides intentional educational and social programming that centers the lived experiences of queer and trans people, creates opportunities for community building, and fosters dialogue across and within difference.
Through dynamic programming and educational outreach, the QRC seeks to improve the campus climate for queer students and advocate for the respect and safety of all members of the campus community. In collaboration with other campus organizations and departments, the QRC works to meet the needs of students to promote personal and leadership development.
We sponsor educational, social and campus community-building programs. Our library has an extensive collection of books and DVDs concerning queer issues/topics. Space can be used for club meetings, studying, and hanging out. The QRC networks with campus, Five College and Amherst area organizations in order to build a stronger community and support system for the queer students of Amherst College.
*Queer* Queer is an umbrella term used to be inclusive of all sexual and gender identities that challenge the norm.
An Amherst Community where people of marginalized a/sexual orientations and a/gender identities, behaviors, and expressions are heard, affirmed, valued, and respected.
Our Services Include...
- Access to a friendly office staff who are available to talk and connect you with a variety of resources at Amherst College and within the Amherst community
- Resources for trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming students, staff, and faculty
- A library including over 500 books and DVD's on queer history, health, religion, race, style, nationality, and much more
- Queer magazines, periodicals, and newspapers
- Public computers with FREE printing
- Queer/Trans 101 & Advanced Trainings
- Free hot cup of coffee and tea
- Free and accessible safe sex materials
- A comfortable space for queer and trans students to hang out, study, eat lunch, host meetings, and learn about queer individuals issues and topics
- Provide intentional efforts that promote gender and sexual identity development
- Provide spaces (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual) that holistically support queer and trans students
- Provide educational resources and programming for queer and trans students, allies and the campus community in order to create a safer and more supportive campus environment
- Provide opportunities to celebrate the leadership, identity, and diversity of the Amherst College queer and trans student, staff and faculty community
- Advocate for systemic change that creates services, policies, and procedures that are inclusive of sexual and gender diversity