- Newman Catholic ClubNewman Catholic Club
- Newman & Other Catholic Events
- Newman Club Leaders and Invitation
- Some Off-Campus Opportunities
- Catholic Bulletin (with special notices)
- Priest Celebrants and Special Guests
- Catholic, Locally: Diocese of Springfield, MA
- 2 Practices: Contemplative Silence, Lectio Divina
- Peace & Nonviolence in the Catholic Tradition
- "Year of Faith"
Sun. 2/27/2011, 7 pm. Newman Beatification Celebration
The Newman Center at UMass Amherst is celebrating the recent beatification of John Henry Newman, for whom the Center is named. Everyone is welcome this Sunday night to come to the Newman Center UMass to participate in the 7 pm. Mass and/or reception afterwards. Bishop Timothy McDonnell will be the celebrant, Deacon Jack Sullivan will be the homilist. It is going to be a wonderful evening of prayer and fellowship. Deacon Jack, a permanent deacon in the Archdiocese of Boston, was cured of a sers spinal disease by the incercession of Cardinal Newman. This miraculous cure ws the basis for Newman's beatification by Pope Benedict in September. Pope Benedict, who ordinarily does not particiopat in ceremonies of beatification, made an exception for Cardinal Newman because of is regard for Newman's life and thought. See details in the Diocese of Springfield press release pasted below. Directions to the Newman Center: http://www.newmanumass.org/content/general/directions.html
Parking: there are several HP spaces in the Newman Center lot and a few other spaces. We recommend parking in a UMass lot nearby. Parking is open to the public in all the University lots on Sunday nights. Lots 46 and 34 are near the Neman Center. See a UMass parking map at http://parking.umass.edu/images/maps/mapvisitorparking.pdf.