- Residential LifeResidential Life
- Calendar: Important Dates to Remember
- Jobs in ResLife
- Resident Counselors
- Respect for Facilities and Property
- Roommate Contract
- Thanksgiving Break Festivities
- Winter Break (hidden)
Important Updates about Thanksgiving Break
The Office of Student Affairs is pleased to announce that support and resources during the upcoming Thanksgiving Break have been expanded to better support our community. Please review the information below carefully.
Dining Services will be open to all students during limited hours from Saturday (11/22) to Saturday (11/29). The details are as follows:
- Breakfast: A hospitality table will be available during dinners for students to take food for the next day – grab and go style!
- Lunch: 12:00 – 2:00pm in Valentine
- Dinner: from 5:00 – 6:30pm in Valentine<
There are 2 exceptions to the schedule above.
- Tuesday’s dinner (11/25) will be a traditional Thanksgiving meal at the Lord Jeffery Inn, courtesy of President Martin. Please register for either the 5:30 or 7:45pm seating here. Note that Valentine will be closed during dinner on Tuesday.
- Thanksgiving Day (11/27) there will be a large traditional meal served from 12:00 – 2:00pm, instead of the regular lunch and dinner hours, in order to allow Dining Services staff to spend the evening with their families. For dinner on Thanksgiving (11/27), pizza will be available in the Keefe Campus Center from 7:00 to 9:00pm.
- A schedule for the week, including several off-campus events, is posted here.
- Many Amherst College sports teams are playing home games during the break. See the composite schedule for details about the games.
- Any student who would like to organize an event as part of the Thanksgiving Festivities can contact Dexter Padayachee (email@example.com) to coordinate timing, funding, and publicity.
- If you’re looking for more things to do, or places to explore on your own, check out this site for ideas.
Share a Meal and a Family
With growing number of students who remain on campus during the Thanksgiving break, the college is enhancing the services and activities and that will be available during this time. Share a Meal and a Family is designed for students to take advantage of a great opportunity to engage with Amherst College faculty, staff and local alumni over the break, and enjoy a home-cooked meal and family time. You can sign up here to join the Share a Meal and a Family program.
Facilities and Services
The hours of many buildings and offices are different during break. For a comprehensive listing, click here.
Keefe Campus Center
The Keefe Campus Center will be open daily, times TBD.
Health Services will be open on Monday (11/24) and Tuesday (11/25) during regular business hours. Students who have a medical emergency when Keefe Health Center is closed should contact the Campus Police at 413-542-2111. Students in need of urgent care should contact (UMass) University Health Services (UHS) at 413-577-5000.
The Counseling Center will be open for regular hours in Scott House on Monday (11/24) and Tuesday (11/25), and Wednesday (11/26) from 9:00am-12:00pm. The Counseling Center will be closed from noon Wednesday (11/26) until Monday, December 1 at 9:00 AM. When the Counseling Center is closed, the counselor on call can be reached for urgent situations through the Dean on Duty. To contact the Dean on Duty please call the Campus Police (413-542-2111).
Queer Resource Center
The Queer Resource Center will be open from 11:00am – 2:00pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The QRC will host a variety of programs during their open hours.
The AAS is pleased to offer use of its three vans over Thanksgiving Break to all students on campus. In order to reserve and drive a college vehicle, you need to be a credentialed driver with Amherst College. Details are posted here.
Kickoff Meeting and Raffles
All students are invited to a Thanksgiving Festivities Kickoff Meeting onSaturday 11/22 at 7:00pm in the Friedmann Room in Keefe Campus Center. You can sign up for off-campus excursions, check out board games and cooking equipment, and enter a raffle for prizes. This is also a great opportunity to see who else will be around, and enjoy snacks with the staff and Student Coordinators who will be here to support you throughout the week.
Any questions about support over Thanksgiving Break may be directed to Flora Chan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dexter Padayachee (email@example.com).
The Office of Student Affairs will sponsor social activities to bring together students who remain on campus. Vacation can also be a great opportunity to explore your surroundings --- visit parts of the campus you seldom appreciate, cheer on a sports team, or explore the other four schools in the Five College Consortium. Information about equipment (sports, board games, kitchen items) available for check-out is posted here.
If you have any questions, please contact Flora Chan, Transfer and First Generation Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-542-2912, or Dexter Padayachee '13, International Student Coordinator at email@example.com or 413-542-2337.