Department Name: Library
Job Title: Bicentennial History Intern
Term/Start Date: Six weeks during the summer of 2016; some flexibility in scheduling within the summer months
Job Description: The Amherst Library seeks two interns, who will spend six weeks in the summer of 2016 helping to plan and populate a timeline of Amherst College history in preparation for the 2021 bicentennial. The timeline will be modeled in part on the timeline of MIT history (http://mitstory.mit.edu/mit-highlights-timeline). At a minimum, the interns will
- identify and draw upon existing bibliographies of Amherst college history to create a master bibliography of the same;
- read several of the most important accounts;
- suggest which types of events described in those accounts merit inclusion in the timeline;
- evaluate schemes for classifying events;
- begin populating the timeline with a small subset of events.
Approximate Number of Hours: 40 hours/week for 6 weeks
Requirements: Evidence of independent, high-level academic work. Interest in Amherst College history. Resourcefulness, creativity and superb organizational skills. Desired by not required: One or more college-level history courses.
Hourly Wage: $10.25
How to Apply: Please send a resume and a short letter describing your interest and qualifications to Bryn Geffert, Frost Library at firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Frost Library, Amherst College
Application Deadline: April 15th, 2016