In a quickly unfolding situation involving an individual with a gun, immediately leave the area and call the Amherst College Police Department (ACPD) at 413.542.2111. DO NOT attempt to disarm someone with a gun. For those in an area with a dangerous person, remember: RUN – HIDE – FIGHT.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Keep your hands in plain sight for your safety and the safety of responding police.
- Hide in an area, room or closet out of the shooter’s view.
- Lock the doors. If the door cannot be locked, block or wedge the door shut from inside.
- Move away from windows and pull down blinds/shades.
- Leave cell phones on, but turn the volume off so you can continue to receive messages.
- Do not open the door for anyone identifying themselves as a police officer or other rescuer. The police will gain entrance using keys or after an “All Clear” is sent.
- As a last resort, when your life is in danger, FIGHT!
- Any object or substance—such as coffee, chemicals, pens and pencils, furniture—can be used as a weapon to incapacitate a shooter.