In the event the campus must be evacuated, the College will notify the community via the AC Alert system, as well as campus-wide emails, with specific instructions for faculty, staff and students. Faculty and staff in non-critical roles will be instructed to leave campus and remain away until it is safe to return. Students will be assisted by the Office of Student Affairs, the Amherst College Police Department (ACPD) and others to alternative shelter and/or local transportation hubs based on the potential duration of the evacuation.
Those leaving campus should bring the following:
- Driver’s license, passport and College ID
- Medication and prescriptions
- Money, checks, bank cards and credit cards
- Contact lenses and eyeglasses
- Cellphones, chargers and phone cards (in case cell coverage is down)
- Personal toiletries
- Keys, including keys for home
- Laptops, iPads and other portable electronics of value
- Valuable jewelry or heirlooms
- Minimal essential clothing
- Other important documents: social security card, insurance information, etc.
Download a PDF of the Amherst College Emergency Response Handbook.