On a dynamic, engaged campus like Amherst’s, individuals or groups of people will exercise their right to free speech and assembly. Sometimes, however, peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational or heated and devolve into a riot or violence. If tensions start to escalate:
- Report any suspicious behavior or unauthorized persons in your building or on campus to the Amherst College Police Department (ACPD) at 413.542.2111.
- Stay inside and away from doors and windows.
- Secure your area (doors, safes, files, vital records, expensive equipment, etc.).
- Be vigilant and aware of unfolding events.
- Do not engage in verbal confrontations, and do not physically engage protestors. If you are personally confronted, remain calm and try not to raise your voice or escalate the situation.
Download a PDF of the Amherst College Emergency Response Handbook.