The Amherst College Pooled Income Funds offer an excellent opportunity to provide a significant future gift to Amherst while enjoying lifetime income and important tax advantages.

Pooled Income Funds

Acting much like a charitable mutual fund, the Amherst pooled income funds accept gifts from many individuals and "pool" them together for investment purposes. Every three months the income earned by the funds is distributed to the participants based on their proportional share of the total fund. When the last person named to receive the income passes away, that portion of the fund principal associated with the gift is made available to support the College.

The Immediate Life Income Fund has approximately 93 participants and $6.1 million in assets. The Fund is invested with an emphasis on current income and modest growth of principal. The average income yield of the fund over the past five years has been about 4%. However, current yields are not a guarantee of future performance.

The Balanced Income Fund offers a more modest immediate return, with the expectation of greater income through long-term capital growth. The fund has approximately 73 participants and $6.1 million in assets. The average income yield over the past five years has been approximately 3.3%. However, current yields are not a guarantee of future performance.

Initial gifts to either pooled income fund must be at least $10,000. Subsequent gifts can be for $2,500 or more. Gifts may be in cash or marketable securities (except tax-exempt securities). All income recipients must be at least 50 years old.

When you contribute appreciated securities to a pooled fund, the full amount is invested in the fund. You do not pay a tax on the realized gain when you make your gift.

Contact Gift Planning

Janet Howard, Gift Planning Coordinator
Amherst College
PO Box 5000
Amherst, MA 01002-5000

Information contained in this website should not be considered legal, accounting, or other professional advice. Individuals considering a planned gift to Amherst should consult with their financial advisor.