- Course Catalog Editing Instructions
- Formatting Content for a Responsive Design
- Moodle Help
- Web Design Style Guide
- How Do I...? (Questions and Answers about the Amherst Website)
- My Amherst
- Accessibility of the Amherst Web Site
Managing Emails From Discussions
Whenever an instructor creates a forum, they make a basic decision on subscription. Forum subscription is the process of sending emails of postings to participants. The instructor has four options,
- Optional subscription - Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced subscription - Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription - Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time
- Subscription disabled - Subscriptions are not allowed
If the instructor chooses forced or subscription disabled there is nothing you can do.
With auto or optional subscription, you get to choose whether you want to get emails when you post a message to the forum. Just below the message field is a subscription option that controls your subscription for the entire forum.
You can change whether the default value is to subscribe or not. In the Setting block click on My profile settings and the Edit profile. Look down to the Forum auto-subscription item and set your default value. (Thanks to OIT at UMass for this tip).
And if you get emails from a forum you don't want to subscribe to, and assuming the instructor has given you any choice, there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the each email message.