Creating the assignment
An offline activity is an activity that does not involve any online response from the student, it is simply a way of notifying the students on the assignment on the course page. Creating an offline activity causes an entry to be made to the gradebook. The creation itself is simple since there are no entries tied directly to this type of assignment.
- From your course page, turn editing on and go to the Topic or Week in which you want to add the forum
- Click on the Add an activity drop-down box and select Offline Activity under Assignments to get the new activity interface.
- Give the assignment a descriptive name and some general description. Both fields are required.
- You can specify the earliest and latest date when submissions will be accepted. If neither of these fields in enabled, submissions will always be accepted. You can also determine whether to accept submissions after the close date.
- In the Grade block you can specify the number of points for the assignment (or if it isn't graded at all). If graded, an item will automatically be added to the gradebook. If you use categories in the gradebook you can specify which category to put the grade for this assignment in.
- Common module settings, Restrict access and Activity Completion (not shown) are common activity options. Usually the defaults will be fine.
- Remember to click on either the Save and return to course or Save and display button when done.
Viewing the assignment
An offline activity is an activity that does not involve any online response from the student. Creating an offline activity causes an entry to be made to the gradebook. You can grade the activity by going to the assignment just like you would other types of assignments, but there isn't any type of submission to see. Alternatively, you could add grades directly in the gradebook.