Valid for Moodle 2.5. Updated on 9/11/2013.
To completely block access to the gradebook
- Go to Administration → Course Administration → Edit Settings
- Scroll down to the Appearance section.
- Find the Show gradebook to student option.
- Set to No. (The default is Yes).
Student can only see their own grades even when this option is set to Yes.
To block access to an item.
- Go to Administration → Course Administration → Grades.
- Go to Administration → Grade administration → Setup → Categories and Items or select Categories and Items from the pulldown in the grader report.
- Find the item. In the Actions column, click on the appropriate Edit. Find the eye icon
labeled Hide and click. It will become the closed eye icon
- You can later unhide the item by clicking on the closed eye icon.
To block access to the grade for a category.
This is the same as for an item except that you find the row containing the category total.
To hide the entire category.
This is the same as for an item except that you find the row containing the category header.
To block access to the course grade.
While it's possible to do this within the Categories and Items page by blocking access at the highest level, the simplest way is to block the users access to their grades for the course using the course settings as outlined at the top of this page.
[Note: students can only see their own grades. Even with access fully on they can not see other students grades. If they aren’t logged in, they wouldn’t see anything.]