Valid for Moodle 2.8. Updated on 7/23/2015.
Warning: Media files with non-western characters in their filenames can not be used with the Media Playlist at this time.
The media playlist makes it easy for you to add short pieces of media to your course. It is especially useful when you have a large number of media files that you use year after year since it avoids the need to copy the files each time they are used.
To use this resource type the media files must be loaded onto a special media server. You can load new files into the media server as part of the process of building a media playlist.
- From your course page, turn editing on and go to the Topic or Week in which you want to add the media.
- Click on the Add a resource drop-down box and select Media Playlist to get the playlist interface or select Media Playlist from the activity chooser.
- Type in a name for your playlist; this name will be displayed on your course's Moodle page.
- In the Content section of the page click the Edit button. This will bring up a modified File Picker. Media files are organized using folders. Initially you will see two folders.
- The first, lms, contains the folders for all the classes you have access to. Normally you wouldn't want to open this unless you want to use media that you previously uploaded for a different course. Instead, click on the folder with your course name. In this example, that would be the ITHistory folder.
You will now see all the media files currently associated with your course.
- To add a file, click on the Upload button. This will bring up the upload dialogue. Simply drag the files you want to upload to the designated area in the dialogue. Once the upload is complete, click on the Close btton to return to your course folder.
- In the course folder, video files appear as a screen capture image; audio files appear as an icon.
To make files available to the students, click the checkboxes for all the files you want them to have access to at this point in the course. Then click on the Save button. This will add them to the Content section of media playlist form. FInally click on the Save and return to course button.
Important: All the files in a single playlist must be in the same folder. To use files from different folders you'll need to create more than one playlist. Also the files will appear in the playlist in the order that you selected them.
Once the playlist has been created students can click on the playlist name on the course site and a media player will appear letting them select which video/audio file they want to play.
Warning: If the student's browser window is set too narrow, part or all of the file name will not display. To solve this problem the student will have to widen their browser window. There is no horizontal scroll.