Summer Housing requires both an application from students, and a sponsorship from an Amherst College department. Graduates are not eligible for summer housing.
This form will ask you about your anticipated housing needs, contact information, and possible roommate information. Summer housing request forms are due Monday, May 1, 2023.
It is important to note that most students engaging in any portion of the following segments of summer housing will need to change housing assignments during their stay. Summer Housing is broken down into 3 major segments, each with their own eligibility criteria.
- Spring to Summer Transition (May 22 to June 10)
Located in Tyler, Seligman, Valentine, Humphries, Chapman, Plimpton, and Marsh.
- Available only to spring residents who are hired to work commencement, reunion, and other campus initiatives directly related to supporting commencement and reunion (only during the period of employment). Students for whom Amherst is their primary residence, and international students who cannot travel due to international limitations should seek employment with these teams.
- Ineligible students include domestic students who do not have a commitment to the College until after June 11.
- Moving into transition housing will occur on a rolling basis as rooms are vacated and prepared. Residents must be prepared to move between May 22 and May 26. Alternative move dates will be discouraged and are unavailable without exceptional reasons.
- Summer Housing (June 10 to August 5)
Located in King, Weiland, Garman, Seligman, Chapman, Residence Hall A, Hitchcock, Humphries, Marsh, Moore, Morrow, Plimpton, and Tyler.
- Eligible students who participate in Amherst College academic programs, student summer employees, students for whom Amherst is their primary residence, and those who cannot travel due to international limitations who also work or research on campus.
- Ineligible students include all who were not approved via the Summer Housing Request process
- Moving into summer housing will occur June 10 and 11 for the vast majority of students.
- Please review the tax and income implications of summer housing on the Controller's website and ensure you understand and prepare for those outcomes.
- Summer-to-Fall Transition (August 7 to August 11)
Located in students’ Fall 2023 housing assignments
- Eligible students include students for whom Amherst is their primary residence, and international students, and students who have a commitment to the College beyond August 5.
- Ineligible students include those who are studying away, or taking a leave for the Fall 2023.
- Moving into fall housing will range between August 7 and August 11 in a rolling manner as fall rooms are prepared. These dates are determined based on programs and room readiness. Alternative move dates may not be possible, and will be discouraged without exceptional reasons.