Robert Frost Library was, in large part, funded anonymously in 1965, with the proviso that it be named for the poet Robert Frost, who taught at Amherst College, off and on, for more than forty years.
In 1997, with the donors' consent, their identity was made public and a plaque was placed in the main lobby, to the right of the main entrance. It reads:
Within the Library, many individual rooms and areas were funded by other donors, often named in memory or honor of a favorite teacher, classmate, or relative. The spaces thus donated and named are listed below, arranged by floor.
Each named space is marked with a plaque or sign naming the donor or honoree. The list below does not always quote the plaque exactly. When a motto or other phrase appropriate to the person honored appears on the plaque, it is included in the list.
* Digital Poetry Display
This poetry display was the idea and gift of Charles R. Longsworth '51
* Digital Newspaper Display
Alfred Friendly (1914-1983), BA (German) '33, PBK, CDH, (Hon) '58, Amherst Trustee 1961-67, Washington Post Managing Editor 1955-65, Pulitzer Prize 1968, author and historian
* Faculty office 217
Gift of H. Prentice Browning 1933
* World War II Study Room
Gift of the Class of 1946 on the occasion of its 65th Reunion, May 28, 2011
* The Barbara and Frederick S. Lane '36 Room
Gift of Barbara and Frederick S. Lane, Class of 1936
* Staff Lounge (A16)
Given in memory of Edward E. Poor, Jr., Class of 1910, by Camilla S. Poor, Edward E. Poor III, Class of 1937, Richard W. Poor, Class of 1938, Henry B. Poor, Class of 1939, and Camilla P. Carlisle
* The Albert E. Barnett, M.D., '52 Reading Room
Gift of Albert E. Barnett, Class of 1952