Have a citation? Check our holdings in the box above
Starting your search for articles? Use the Databases tab.
Find images, texts, videos, and more from the Archives & Special Collections and Art & Architecture Collection.
Be sure to log in with your Amherst username and password to see your search results.
The Amherst College Library fosters inquiry, discovery, and creation.
The library fulfills this mission by ...
- ... teaching the craft of research.
We collaboratively teach habits, mindsets, and strategies for finding, questioning, and creating new knowledge.
- ... organizing information and leading others to it.
We describe, arrange, and digitize our collections for all who seek what they contain.
- ... producing freely available scholarship.
We solicit new work, edit it, publish it, and distribute it to everyone, everywhere, regardless of means.
- ... curating collections for posterity.
We acquire and preserve artifacts and information essential to our college and the world at large.
- ... building community.
We create spaces, sponsor events, and launch initiatives that celebrate and bridge the intellectual and the social.
Last revised August 2013
Strategic Planning Work
Temporary Categories for Initiative Ideas (19 December 2013)
The library operates as
- a campus hub; in which the library functions as an intellectual and physical space for a wide range of academic and nonacademic pursuits and events
- a connector; in which the library builds community by forging relationships and creating opportunities among a wide range of groups and individuals on campus and beyond
- a responsive innovator; in which the library perpetually assesses user needs to create expectations that are exceeded through a welcoming atmosphere and continuous staff development
- a hub of scholarly communication; in which the library takes a leadership role in developing and offering new models of information exchange
- a steward of resources and disseminator of the same; in which the library curates and preserves resources to support the community on campus and beyond, with an emphasis on removing barriers to use
- a place of teaching, research, and learning; in which the library works as a partner in academic research and personal development by prioritizing teaching and providing resources, spaces, and technology for exploration.