Ca. 1869 - Amherst has been known for almost two
centuries as the College on the Hill. From left: the
Octagon, Williston (with a tower), Chapel Row, and Appleton.
(Photograph by J. L. Lovell)
1923 - Six students pose after College church services:
left to right: physician Charles W. Lewis'23; physician
and teacher W. Montague Cobb '25; judge and College Trustee
William H. Hastie '25; realtor William B. D. Thompson '27;
lawyer Gaius C. Bolin '25; and U.S. Ambassador W. Mercer Cook '25.
1892 - The October outing tradition of Mountain Day
was enjoyed by students from 1874 until 1933,
when the day was added to Thanksgiving break.
1967 - Cheerleaders ham it up as they drive along
Hitchcock Road on their way to the festivities at the football
field. From left to right: Jim Wallace '68, Dan Cochran '68,
Jim Goldman '68, and Frank Normile '68. The vehicle, a
genuine London taxi, belonged to Tim Chadwick '68.
Ca. 1880s - Student chemists pose with their laboratory
apparatus and patterned lab coats for this formal class portrait.
( Photograph by Notman Photo Co.)
1977 - Instituted in 1967, the free Five College bus system made it
possible for students to travel among the five institutions for
classes and other activities. (Photograph by Robert E. Kingman ’72)
1942 - Part community service and part physical education program,
during World War II students worked on local farms, which faced
a shortage of labor.
ca. 1920 - Tenth Reunion headquarters for “The Buccaneer”
Class of 1910. Classes often adopted humorous costumes and
created floats for the traditional alumni parade.
1976 - Anita Cilderman, by virtue of alphabetical order,
became the first woman to receive an A.B. degree from Amherst,
after it became co-ed in 1975. (Photograph by Robert E. Kingman ’72).
1987 - Dickens Mathieu ’87 speaks at the dedication of the College’s
African-American cultural residence, the Charles Drew ’26 House.
Dr. Drew’s daughter, Charlene Drew-Jarvis, is seated at center.
(Photograph by Eric Krody ’84)
1890 - This winning Amherst College Athletic Team, today called
the Track Team, included velocipede (bicycle) riders.
The team set records in six events at their final meet.
(Photograph by Pach Brothers)
Ca. 1950s - The living room of the College Infirmary, which
provided the comforts of home for those recovering under the
care of the nurses. (Photograph by Edward Thayer Monroe)
Ca. 1917-18 - Amherst’s Student Army Training Corps
drill in front of the newly dedicated Converse Memorial
Library shortly after the nation’s entry into World War I.
(Photograph by Gordon Photographers)
1987 - Professor Tekla Harms points out the significant aspects of this
geologic map during a class in the Pratt Museum of Natural History.
(Photograph by Frank Ward)
1885 - Sheridan’s comedy The Rivals was the senior dramatics production
for 1885. Traditionally, the young men played the female roles as well.
(Photograph by W. H. Baker)
Ca. 1950s - During Parents Weekend, students and their families enjoy lunc
served on metal trays in Valentine Hall, the central dining facility.
(Photograph by Tom Hill ’56)
Ca. 1911-17 - Students study in the main reading room of Morgan Library,
the first building constructed as a library on campus in 1853.
1978 - First-year students enjoy the antics of the a capella singing group,
the Zumbyes, at the welcome barbecue at Tuttle Farm during Orientation.
(Photograph by Delia Hatch Baroni)