Selected Poems (1923)
Note: This is a different collection from the several other editions also titled Selected Poems, including those of 1928, 1934, 1936 (England), and 1955, as well as several published after Frost’s death. See the data sheets or on-line records for those works for details of Amherst’s holdings.
First edition (U.S.)
There were apparently six printings of the first edition (the only U.S. edition).
|First printing, March 1923. 2 copies.|
* Copy 1 is signed by Frost, Amherst, February 1924; ownership signature of Katharine C. Cowles, Feb. 18, 1924, “from E. M.” Gift of Katharine C. Cowles.
* Copy 2 is inscribed by Frost to E. Merrill Root (Class of 1917), “from his friend and fellow poet,” Richmond, April 1924. Gift of E. Merrill Root.
|A photostatic copy of Elizabeth Shepley Sergeant’s copy of the first printing (original at Bryn Mawr), which has her marginal notes based on Frost’s comments about his poems; the copy has been interleaved, with notes transcribed in typescript on the interleaving; with the bookplate of Jack W. C. Hagstrom (Class of 1955). Gift of Jack W. C. Hagstrom.|
|Second printing, January 1924. 2 copies.|
* Copy 1 is signed by Frost, Amherst, 1924; in dust jacket. Gift of E. Porter Dickinson.
* Copy 2 is inscribed by Frost for Jane B. Bigelow, with the full text of “Dust of Snow”; dated (in another hand) Feb. 1, 1926; with the booklabel of Mrs. Wm. P. Bigelow. Source unknown.
|Third printing, December 1924. 1 copy.|
* Copy 1. Signed by Frost, 1931; with the bookplate of Doris Merrill and the ms. location Ann Arbor, Mich.; at end are 2 pages of ms. notes headed “Robert Frost, March 13, 1931, New Haven. Source unknown.
|Fourth printing, March 1926. 2 copies.|
* Copy 1 has the bookplate of Jack W. C. Hagstrom (Class of 1955) and signature of E. W. Benson, 1926. Gift of Jack W. C. Hagstrom.
* Copy 2 is from the library of Newton F. McKeon (Class of 1926), with a slip bearing his notes inserted; inscribed “To Ethel, from Ruth, 1927.” Gift of Mary Maury McKeon.
|[Fifth printing, June 1927. No copy at Amherst.]|
|Sixth printing, March 1928. 2 copies.|
* Copies 1-2 came to Amherst as part of the publisher’s remainder stock, ca. 1990; in dust jacket. Gift of Henry Holt and Co.
Second edition (U.K.)
There was only one printing of the second (U.K.) edition.
|Only printing. 4 copies.|
* Copy 1 has the bookplate of George F. Whicher (Class of 1910); with a dust jacket (in two pieces; removed and placed in file, with call number: File RFA 23 1923.2 c.1 dj). Gift of the Estate of George F. Whicher.
* Copy 2 is inscribed by Frost to Jack W. C. Hagstrom (Class of 1955), New York City, “one night in December of 1955”; with Hagstrom’s bookplate. Gift of Jack W. C. Hagstrom.
* Copy 3 is inscribed by Frost to Jack W. C. Hagstrom (Class of 1955), “since he found it. I don’t remember ever having had a copy myself.” With Hagstrom’s bookplate, and two remnants of a dust jacket (removed and place in file, with call number: File RFA 23 1923.2 c.3 dj). Gift of Jack W. C. Hagstrom.
* Copy 4 is unopened and uncut, with the bookplate of A. E. Housman; from the library of Martin K. Howes (Class of 1926). Gift of Martin K. Howes.