Try these databases first to find journal articles in this discipline.
- Historical Abstracts (1955 to present)
Scholarly literature about world history since 1450 (excluding the United States and Canada).
- Arts & Humanities Database
Full-text publications that focus on art, architecture, design, history, philosophy, music, literature, theatre and cultural studies.
- MLA International Bibliography (1926 to present)
Covers critical scholarship on literature, language, linguistics, and folklore.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts (1975 to present)
Covers international journals in political science and its complementary fields.
- LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe (date coverage varies)
Full-text federal and state laws, international legal materials, and law reviews. Also newspapers and business information.
- Electronic Enlightenment (18th century)
Full text of over 53,000 letters and documents from the best critical editions.
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs Online (1991 to present)
- ATLA Religion Database (1949 to present)
Full-text backfiles of over one thousand leading academic journals across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. (Alumni access)
Use these encyclopedias and reference works to get started on a topic.
Find images and streaming audio and video in these collections (also see the Images Research Guide).
- Amherst College Digital Collections
Digitized art works, photographs, manuscripts, books, and other media from Amherst College Archives & Special Collections and the library’s Art & Architecture Collection.
Image database including architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design as well as many other forms of visual culture.
- Bridgeman Education
A visual resource offering digital images of art, history, and culture from museums, galleries, private collections, and contemporary artists.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO) (1701-1800)
Page images and full-text searching for more than 136,000 key English- and foreign-language titles printed in Great Britain during the 18th century, based on the English Short Title Catalogue.
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online (NCCO) (1780-1925)
Full-text, searchable content from a broad range of 19th-century sources in literature, politics, theater, music, religion, maps, science, and childhood
- British Periodicals
Searchable full text of hundreds of British periodicals from the late 17th century to the early 20th, with high-resolution facsimile page images.