News Research Guide
Try these collections of historical newspapers first.
- Historical Newspapers (ProQuest)
Combined search of the historic Boston Globe, Chicago Defender, Chinese Newspapers Collection, Hartford Courant, Los Angeles Times, New York Amsterdam News, New York Times, South China Morning Post, Times of India, and Washington Post.
- America's Historical Newspapers (1690-1980)
Searchable archive of American newspapers including Early American Newspapers (1690-1922) and Hispanic American Newspapers (1808-1980).
- Caribbean Newspapers (1718-1876)
Fully searchable digitized collection of 18th- and 19th-century Caribbean newspapers, including 66 titles from 22 islands
- Historical Chinese Newspapers (ProQuest)
English-language newspapers published in China. It spans 1832-1953, with most content from 1910-1940.
- Chronicling America (1860-1922)
Search or browse hundreds of newspapers through the Library of Congress National Digital Newspaper Program. Includes descriptions of papers, and images are downloadable.
- Google News Archive (1800s to present)
Digitized and searchable U.S. and Canadian newspapers. Not at all comprehensive, but potential for excellent and historic coverage depending on title.
- African American Newspapers (Accessible Archives) (1827-1902)
Starting with Freedom's Journal in 1827, the database will eventually contain all major African-American newspapers published in the U.S. during the 19th century.
- FBIS: Federal Broadcast Information Service Daily Reports (1974-1996)
News in translation (by the CIA) from radio, television, and newspapers around the world.
- Latin American Newspapers (1805-1922)
Provides more than thirty-five fully searchable newspapers published in Central and South American between 1805-1922.
Check out these collections of current newspapers and media (or search the journal locator for specific titles).
- Global Newsstream (ProQuest)
Search the most recent global news, including major US dailies, with archives that stretch back into the 1980s from over 2,700 news sources that include newspapers, newswires, television and radio transcripts, blogs, and more in full-text format.
- Access World News (Newsbank) (date coverage varies)
Electronic editions of over 2,600 local, regional, and national U.S. newspapers as well as 1,500 international sources. Fully searchable and browsable by map.
- LexisNexis Academic (date coverage varies)
Full-text federal and state laws, international legal materials, and law reviews. Also newspapers and business information.
- Alternative Press Index (1969 to present)
Covers alternative, radical and left periodicals, newspapers and magazines.
- Alt-PressWatch (1970 to present)
Full-text newspapers, magazines, and journals of the alternative and independent press.
- Ethnic NewsWatch (1959 to present)
News and analysis from ethnic popular and scholarly publications.
Content from newspapers, news agencies and publications from the African continent.
- Latin American Newsletters (1967 to present)
Daily news from Latin America translated and with analysis.
- Television News Archive (1968 to present)
Searchable archive of abstracts of news broadcasts from 1968 to present (ABC, CBS, NBC), 1995 to present (CNN), selected content from PBS and FOX News.
- Lexis-Nexis Broadcast Transcripts
Search news transcripts from NPR, PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, Fox, and more.
Use these directories to find information about newspapers and broadcasters.
Find news materials in other languages through these collections.
- Hispanic American Newspapers (1808-1980)
Full-text collection of Spanish-language and bilingual newspapers printed across the U.S. during the 19th and 20th centuries.
- NAVER News Library (1920-1999)
Archive from four major Korean newspapers: Dong-A Ilbo, Kyunghyang Shinmun, Maeil Business Newspaper, and Hankyoreh.
- Zasshi Kiji Sakuin Shusei Detabesu (1868 to present)
Index to periodical articles published in Japanese, including those in former Japanese colonies, and including local periodicals not present in many other indexes.
- Nikkei Telecom (1984 to present)
Includes business news, company information, who's who with coverage since 1984.
- Lexis-Nexis Foreign Language News
Search for non-English-language news in a variety of languages.