Have a citation? Check our holdings in the box above
Starting your search for articles? Use the Databases tab.
Find images, texts, videos, and more from the Archives & Special Collections and Art & Architecture Collection.
Be sure to log in with your Amherst username and password to see your search results.
The Amherst College Library has been a federal depository for United States government publications since 1884. We select about 31% of all available titles. In exchange for receiving this material free from the Government Printing Office, we agree to make it freely available to all patrons, as well as to organize and maintain it. This is a large, complex and historically rich collection. Many of the titles (such as United States Congressional hearings) are not individually cataloged. Please contact Reference with questions.
The collection is particularly strong in the following areas: Arms Control and Disarmament, National Archives, Commerce Department (in particular the Census -- including a historic collection of bound volumes with data not online), Civil Rights Commission, Interior Department, Labor Department, and National Science Foundation. The Library also has primary legal sources such as the U.S. Code, the Supreme Court Reports, Presidential documents and Congressional publications.
The Government Printing Office is transitioning to digital only, with only some core documents currently produced in paper. Some high use government documents are available through GPO Access, many others are through agency websites. The Library has numerous government CD-ROMS including data from the 1990 Census and the National Trade Database.
Key Sites for U.S. Government Documents on the Web
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
- Federal Digital System (FDSYS) Provides full text of Federal Register, Congressional Record, Congressional Bills, GAO Reports, etc.
- GPO Monthly Catalog
- Government Databases by Subject
- Frequently Used Sites Related to U.S. Federal Government Information (GODORT)
- White House
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet
- U.S. Census: Main Data Bank
- Current Population Reports and Other Population Reports Index
- MAGNET: Massachusetts Access to Government Information
- Foreign Government Documents
International / NGO / Foreign Governments
NGO Search Engine (searches 1,090 sites)