- Mead Art MuseumMead Art Museum
- Russian Center Art Gallery
- College Faculty
- College Students
- K–12 School Groups
- Museum Shop & Café
- Press Room
- News Room
- Mead Musings blog
- Photo Journal
Meet at the Mead
LEAP Orientation Program for First-Year Students
Kick off your time at Amherst with an entertaining introduction to the college’s art museum and discover the many ways you can engage with its collections, take part in museum activities, and get to know the students and staff at the heart of its mission. The Mead is adjacent to the quad, where most Amherst students spend their first year. It has a world-class art collection, late night hours, and a café—not to mention comfy chairs for relaxing in, tables to study at, and special events year-round.
This is where art and ideas live. From ancient to contemporary, from near and far, the Mead has it all in one of its galleries or storage rooms. Let the Mead help you find what you came to college for.
*Schedule may change as necessary—please continue to check back for updates!
Thursday, August 28, 2014
9:30am Meet at the front door of the Mead — arrive a few minutes early for donuts, fruit, and juice.
10:00am Introduce yourself to the members of your small group and begin learning about your core artwork.
11:00am Take a brief break, with refreshments.
11:30am Engage closely with your core artwork, learning how to “read” a work of art from a variety of perspectives.
12:30–2pm Head down to Valentine Hall and get to know your fellow participants over lunch.
2:00pm Return to the Mead lobby and follow staff members to the Study Room for an introduction to the afternoon’s activities.
2:30–5:30pm Work with your group to create your boxes, take a peek at art in storage, and begin curating your Tumblr exhibition. (Please bring your laptop to this session.)
5:30–7pm Enjoy dinner at Val after a long day of museum exploration.
7:00–9:00pm Invite your friends to join you at an art-themed movie night in Stirn Auditorium.
Friday, August 29, 2014
8:30am Meet on campus bright and early to board the bus—morning snacks will be provided.
~10:30am Arrive at the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, Mass.
~11:30/12noon Spend time outdoors with a picnic lunch at the Clark.
mid-afternoon Visit MASS MoCA in North Adams, Mass.
6-6:30pm Return to Amherst in time for dinner.
Saturday, August 30, 2014
9:30am Meet back at the Mead for a chance to finalize your group’s projects.
10:30-11:30am Wrap up your LEAP experience with a low-pressure rehearsal for the September 5th presentation.
Before You Arrive
- Fill out the General and Medical Information form by August 13.
- Visit The Joseph Cornell Box for an introduction to Cornell and the intricate world of box art.
- Begin gathering any ephemera you may want to add to your personal Cornell-inspired box based on your core artwork.
- Let us know if you will not have access to a laptop for the Thursday afternoon session.
Overall Goals of the Program
- Experience the Mead as a center of collaborative research and discovery
- Value the importance and rewards of object-based learning in a liberal arts education
- Expand your vision with creativity and imagination
- Develop lasting bonds with new campus friends: classmates and works of art
For more about LEAP, including information about the other 6 programs and how to make your selection, click here.