The Mead welcomes visitors of all ages, from the region and around the world. Make your way to the center of the Amherst College campus, and you'll find the Mead near the main quadrangle, alongside the gray stone Stearns Steeple.
Sunday, 9 a.m.–midnight
Tuesday, 9 a.m.–midnight
Wednesday, 9 a.m.–midnight
Thursday, 9 a.m.–midnight
Friday, 9 a.m.–8 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Admission to the Mead is always free of charge.
The museum is fully accessible, and accessible parking spaces are available to visitors along the college's main quadrangle. A wheelchair is available for use on site. Visitors requiring special assistance are encouraged to contact the museum in advance: 413-542-2335.
GPS-Friendly Street Address: 41 Quadrangle Drive in Amherst, MA, 01002
The Mead is located on the Amherst College campus in the historic town of Amherst, Massachusetts. Amherst lies approximately 2 hours west of Boston, 3 hours north of New York City, and 2 hours east of Albany. The main entrance to Amherst College is near the intersection of MA Routes 9 and 116. Learn more:
- Amherst's Location in the Northeastern U.S.
- Driving Directions to Amherst College
- Public Transportation to Amherst College
- Interactive Amherst College Campus Map
- Amherst Area Lodging
After 4:30 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends, all visitors may park in any spot on campus, including along the main quadrangle. On weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., campus parking is restricted to permit holders. During these hours, visitors are asked to park in the town's metered on-street spaces or in the nearby Boltwood parking garage: see Amherst town parking map (PDF).
Passenger Drop-off Information
- Cars and vans may drop passengers off in front of the Mead.
- Buses must drop off and pick up in front of Amherst College's Converse Hall, located on Boltwood Ave. After delivering passengers, buses are welcome to park in the Hills Parking Lot for the duration of the visit. To reach the Hills Parking Lot, turn right from Boltwood Ave. onto MA Route 9. Drive one-half mile and turn right into the Hills Parking Lot.