The Mead Art Museum is located in the center of the Amherst College campus, near the main quadrangle and alongside the gray stone Stearns Steeple. With an extensive collection of art spanning various cultures, continents and centuries, and more open hours than any other college art museum, the Mead is a must-see attraction in Western Massachusetts.
When Amherst College classes are in session, the Mead is open 9 a.m. to midnight on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday; 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday; and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
When Amherst College classes are not in session, the Mead is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday; and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday.
The Mead is closed on Monday.
Admission to the Mead is always free of charge.
Curious about the exhibitions on view now at the Mead? Want to learn more about the Mead’s collection? Join us on Saturdays at 1pm for a one-hour tour with the Mead’s student educators. Tours vary from week-to-week, so feel free to keep coming back. Free & open to people of all ages and experience levels!
During the 2018 spring semester, Saturday public tours will run from March 17 through May 5.
The museum is fully accessible, and accessible parking spaces are available to visitors along the college's main quadrangle. A wheelchair is available for use on site. Visitors requiring special assistance are encouraged to contact the museum in advance: 413-542-2335.
GPS-Friendly Street Address: 41 Quadrangle Drive in Amherst, MA, 01002
The Mead is located on the Amherst College campus in the historic town of Amherst, Massachusetts. Amherst lies approximately 2 hours west of Boston, 3 hours north of New York City, and 2 hours east of Albany. The main entrance to Amherst College is near the intersection of MA Routes 9 and 116. Learn more:
- Amherst's Location in the Northeastern U.S.
- Driving Directions to Amherst College
- Public Transportation to Amherst College
- Interactive Amherst College Campus Map
- Amherst Area Lodging
After 4:30 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends, all visitors may park in any spot on campus, including along the main quadrangle. On weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., campus parking is restricted to permit holders. During these hours, visitors are asked to park in the town's metered on-street spaces or in the nearby Boltwood parking garage: see Amherst town parking map (PDF).
PASSENGER DROP-OFF INFORMATION
- Cars and vans may drop passengers off in front of the Mead.
- Buses must drop off and pick up in front of Amherst College's Converse Hall, located on Boltwood Ave. After delivering passengers, buses are welcome to park in the Hills Parking Lot for the duration of the visit. To reach the Hills Parking Lot, turn right from Boltwood Ave. onto MA Route 9. Drive one-half mile and turn right into the Hills Parking Lot.