Word is rippling out through the media concerning the College’s recent announcement that the Lord Jeffery Inn will become the Inn on Boltwood shortly after the New Year.
“The new name for the college-owned inn, which opened June 3, 1926, makes clear its connections to Boltwood Avenue, but removes its associations with the 18th century commander-in-chief of the British forces during the French and Indian War,” wrote the Daily Hampshire Gazette.
The Inn’s full-service restaurant has been named 30 Boltwood since 2012 when it opened following a major renovation.
The 46,000-square-foot Inn, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Amherst College, is designed to meet the needs of Amherst College faculty, staff, alumni and visiting guests as well as corporate and leisure travelers. The 8,000-square-foot building features a 2,360-square-foot ballroom and a tented garden area.
Update: in a recent editorial, the Gazette lauded the change, noting, “we commend Amherst College for taking the belated step of changing the name of their inn. Though some, during the original discussion over the mascot, raised the legitimate point that the college can’t erase the past, we believe this decision looks ahead to a more inclusive future.