What is the Introduction to Finance Industry Workshop Series?
This is a 9-week program open to first year students and sophomores interested in learning more about the finance industry. The workshop series is led by Stephanie Hockman, program director for Careers In Business and Finance, and is designed to help students understand the finance industry and its components, distinguish the nuances of available opportunities and enhance career exploration. Some workshops will include alumni who will provide their practical insights, experience and understanding to the discussion. In addition, some sessions will be followed by an opportunity to engage with young alumni in that part of the finance industry in an organized career fair-type chat room.
How do I register for the Introduction to Finance Workshop Series?
The weekly, one-hour workshops will be held every Thursday from 8 – 9 p.m. beginning February 7, 2019 through April 11, 2019 (excluding March 14). Students who register will be expected to commit to attending all 9 sessions. Space is limited and advance sign-up through Handshake is required. Register on Handshake as soon as possible, as spaces are filled on a first come, first serve basis. You will be invited to the other sessions after registering. Please note that registration is capped, and by registering for a slot you are committing to attending all nine sessions. If you register for a slot but are no longer able to commit, please cancel your registration to open it up to another student and email Stephanie Hockman at firstname.lastname@example.org. If all slots are filled, email Stephanie to be placed on a waitlist; all other questions may be directed to her as well.
What topics are discussed in the Workshop Series?
The 9-week course will include topics such as:
1. Introduction to finance – defining finance and an overview of the components of the finance industry including a discussion of buy side vs. sell side
2. Investment banking, part 1 – corporate investment bankers
3. Investment banking, part 2– capital markets (including sales & trading, research and investor services)
4. Investment banking, part 3– introduction to operations & supporting functions at an investment bank
5. Introduction to investment management & asset management
6. Overview of hedge funds
7. Introduction to private equity
8. Introduction to private wealth management/asset management
9. Review of the industry and best next steps