Come learn about a unique community-based and highly experiential semester program in Thailand focused on environmental studies and sustainability studies. A cross-cultural, highly immersive, and experiential semester that incorporates ecosystem field studies, anthropology, sociology, geography and
wilderness travel skills including backpacking and sea kayaking. Subjects include sustainable food systems, political ecology of forests, mangrove and coral reef ecology, and much more!
If you're looking for a challenging and unique study abroad experience and are interested in becoming an environmental leader after graduation, you'll definitely want to learn more about this opportunity!
Fun fact: Our new campus is built out of repurposed shipping containers in the vibrant cultural capital of Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Come to FLI At Amherst! It’s an open discussion circle centering first generation and/or low-income student perspectives where we explore our connections to home and community and our experiences in college and beyond! The topic-based discussion circle is facilitated by Alex Kim from the Counseling Center.
Whether you have meditated for a long time or have never meditated, come join us for this time of practice together. Come to relax, quiet your mind, learn how to experience less suffering and stress, explore Buddhist philosophy and psychology, or just talk about what it means to live from compassion and awareness or because you are curious. The group will be led by Buddhist Advisor Mark Hart.
Founded in 1990, the Brattle Group has been recognized as one of the top consulting firms to work for, ranking 7th overall — the highest among economic consulting firms — in the 2016 Vault Consulting 50. Whether working as a Research Analyst, Associate, Principal, or a member of the Professional Services team, each day at Brattle brings opportunities to make an impact. The firm works with the brightest minds in economics, energy, and finance.
The Brattle Group prides itself on having a flat organizational structure, so new hires work side-by-side with some of the most respected analytical minds in the world. The firm provides a small-company atmosphere, where people know each other by name and develop strong professional relationships. Yet, Brattle is large enough to have a global reputation in its markets and attract the best cases.
The firm strives to recruit and develop individuals with the highest qualifications and credentials from diverse backgrounds. Attend this information session to learn more about Brattle Group’s company culture, what a “day in the life” is like for an economic and financial consultant, and what entry-level Analyst opportunities are now accepting applications.
Please join Edwin Macharia ’01 as he talks about his career since graduating Amherst, his work with Dalberg, and the impact he is making in the world. As a biology major and international student at Amherst, he is eager to help all students understand the impact they can have in the world regardless of the career path they choose. Edwin will also be discussing his firm, Dalberg, and ways that you can join the firm. You can learn more about Edwin and his amazing career from Amherst College, to McKinsey & Company, to the Clinton Foundation and now as Partner and Regional Director for Africa at Dalberg Advisors. See more information about Edwin on his bio.
Dalberg is a global consulting firm that works to build a more inclusive and sustainable world where people, everywhere, can reach their fullest potential. They work with and serve communities governments, and companies throughout the world providing an innovative mix of services that work alongside their clients or they start their own ventures to be laser-focused on creating positive impact. They don’t think of themselves as just consultants; they are investors, designers, and researchers who are conscientious about the externalities of their work. The consult, invest, design and research purely in the service of their impact objective.
Today’s complex global problems require new solutions. Each of Dalberg’s businesses approach problems differently, but all of their businesses work together to create impact at scale. You can talk to Edwin and learn more about how to join Dalberg in one of their global offices and in one of their many businesses which include:
* Dalberg Advisors is a strategic advisory firm that combines the best of private sector strategy skills and rigorous analytical capabilities with deep knowledge and networks across emerging and frontier markets. We work collaboratively across the public, private and philanthropic sectors to fuel inclusive growth and help clients achieve their goals.
* Dalberg Capital facilitates investments that catalyze economic and social change. They advise on investments and develop investment strategies equally driven by purpose and performance. They design new ways to invest in emerging markets and mobilize capital to tackle development challenges.
* Dalberg Data Insights builds bridges between private data and important social problems. We create tools to interpret data and uncover solutions in international development, humanitarian action, and social impact.
* Dalberg Design engages people, communities and organizations to foster creative solutions to enhance economic opportunity and human potential. We combine the best skills in human-centered design, rapid prototyping and systems thinking to accelerate positive change in underserved communities around the world.
* Dalberg Research provides research and analysis that offers clients actionable solutions to their problems. We are a full service research agency answering questions about markets, consumers and lifestyles across more than 20 African countries via quantitative and qualitative studies. We specialize in the inventory, collection, and analysis of primary research data for businesses, NGOs, governments and other institutions.
Learning to navigate Frost Library can set you up to take on all your academic missions this year. Get on the right track: take the self-directed Mammoths in (Library) Space Tour! To begin the tour, go to the welcome station across from Frost’s circulation desk. Complete the tour and get a gift card to Frost Café plus a chance to win our grand prize!
Do Things to Images presents for the first time a selection of photographs from 2014 to 2019 by the artist Odette England. It includes images from her newest series Love Notes.
England’s parents’ former dairy farm, and the archive of snapshots her family made there, serve as raw material for England’s practice. Many of her photographs are unique pieces. By mixing preciousness with low-fi, unrepeatable processes, England highlights the infidelity of memory.
This exhibition includes prints from negatives that England buried and then dug up, and hand-torn paper prints. It features pages ripped from family photo albums, and vintage snapshots that have been hole-punched, among other works. Her need to cut, crop, sand, fold and otherwise manipulate photographs is in contrast to the French meaning of her name, Odette, “Lover of Home.”
Join Odette England for a lecture and the opening of her exhibition on Thursday, Sept. 19, at 4:30 p.m. in Pruyne Lecture Hall, 115 Fayerweather.