Thanksgiving Holiday, Frost Library Closure, All-Staff Town Hall
Level 2: Heightened Awareness
Travel Reminders and Thanksgiving Celebrations
- As a result of the rapid growth in the number of COVID-19 infections across the country in recent weeks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) noted on its website today that any travel may increase your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19, and suggested that “postponing travel and staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others this year.”
- We remind those who do choose to travel to be especially vigilant and safe in doing so, and to review the College’s COVID-19 Travel Policy (which requires you to register any travel in advance), as well as the Massachusetts COVID-19 Travel Order.
- Travelling or not, we urge everyone to be attentive to follow some new holiday-specific recommendations, tips and guidance published by the CDC.
- In addition, we implore you to do your part to keep our community and yours healthy by continuing to practice physical distancing of at least six feet, to wear masks in public, to wash hands frequently, to clean and disinfect surfaces, to respect group-size limits and to avoid crowded indoor spaces.
For staff and faculty members who choose to host Thanksgiving gatherings with 10 individuals or fewer, please stay current on which states are considered “lower-risk,” since travelers from those states are not subject to certain Massachusetts regulations. As of November 11 (the last day the list was updated), the only states that are considered lower-risk include:
- New Hampshire
November 30 Closure, Testing
The College will be closed on Monday, November 30, in recognition of the high rate of completion of the Staff Survey this spring. Because it is critical that everyone returning from the break re-enter the testing cycle as soon as possible, the Testing Center will be open on November 30 for essential employees who are working on campus that day and for those who wish to get tested before returning to campus later in the week.
Frost Library Closure Next Week
The Frost Library building will be closed for the week of Thanksgiving. As such, please note the following:
- If you need to request materials during that time, please place your requests through the catalog by 8 a.m. on Tuesday, November 24.
- Materials can then be picked up in the lockers in the library's vestibule.
- The library building will reopen on December 1.
- Online resources will continue to be available through the library's website during the building closure period.
All-Staff Town Hall Video and Shout-Outs Now Online
Missed the November 10 Town Hall? Watch it now! A video has been posted on the Staff Life page, along with the shout-outs from the meeting. Frequently asked questions about the spring semester will be posted soon.
College COVID-19 Dashboard Recognized
An organization of medical professionals and academics charged with reviewing higher education coronavirus dashboards has awarded Amherst’s an A++, the only one of 320 examined to receive that rating. We hope the dashboard has been as informative for the members of our community. If you have thoughts on how it can be better, please email your suggestions to email@example.com.