Working in Offices
- All staff and faculty at Amherst College are required to wear a mask on campus, with the exception of when alone in private spaces such as your office.
- While at work, maintain a physical distance of at least six feet between individuals. If you supervise an office or other space where these physical distancing guidelines cannot be maintained, contact the office of Environmental Health and Safety at (413) 542-8189. EH&S will likely suggest the installation of a physical barrier, which could include a plexiglass shield or similar device, or other modification. Environmental Health and Safety is available to support faculty and staff in evaluating ways to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
- Department heads should assess meeting rooms and unused spaces for possible use as temporary offices for those who cannot maintain a six-foot distance between individuals.
Working in Laboratories
- See the Amherst College Laboratory plan.
HVAC and Mechanical Ventilation
- Wherever possible, Amherst College Facilities Operations is increasing fresh air exchange in campus buildings that have mechanical ventilation. High efficiency filtration is being installed in recirculated air systems, where feasible.
- For buildings without mechanical ventilation, you are encouraged to open exterior windows to promote natural air circulation. Even during colder weather when it is only possible to crack windows open slightly, this will enhance air quality.
- Contact the Facilities Service Desk if you have questions.
- Amherst College custodial staff will follow a plan of enhanced cleaning in offices, common spaces and restrooms. The custodial department will keep a log of cleaning and disinfecting that will include date, time and scope.
- Avoid using co-worker’s phones, desks, offices or other work tools and equipment whenever possible.
- Make sure to wash your hands with soap and water frequently and to clean and disinfect work spaces at least once per day.
- The College will provide disinfecting supplies to employees; contact the Facilities Service Desk at (413) 542-2254. Keeping surfaces clean is a shared responsibility.
- The cleaning process for equipment should follow the manufacturer’s specifications. Do not spray equipment with misters or sprays. Make sure to allow for sufficient contact time as referenced on the label of the product being used.
- Clean sensitive equipment with wipes that are soaked in the most appropriate disinfectant. Do not use cleaning products that will damage the surfaces being cleaned. Contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety at 413-542-8189 with questions.
- Maintain physical distancing guidelines in the common area of restrooms.
- In smaller restrooms where maintaining a six-foot distance between individuals is not possible, limit the use of the restroom to one person at a time.
- Close the toilet lid before flushing. Toilet lids have been installed in restrooms across campus.
- Always wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water when using the restroom.
- Remember to keep door handles and faucets as clean as possible. Wipe down faucets and door handles with a clean, soapy paper towel (if possible) as you leave to enhance cleanliness and reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission.