The finance industry can seem very complex. Understanding sell-side vs. buy-side career paths, the distinctions between firms, the daily life and responsibilities, and the recruiting timelines are paramount to pursuing careers in finance. Take this opportunity to start or continue to explore the myriad of career paths in the finance industry. Firms will be on campus to network with students in all stages in their exploration – from first year students just starting to consider finance, to sophomores exploring next steps, to juniors and seniors looking to find that right summer internship or post-graduate positions. The Fall Into Finance event includes employer/alumni networking opportunities as well as two panel discussions to help you learn more about the finance industry. The Agenda includes:
Sunday, September 8 at the Science Center
• 5 p.m.: Open Networking in E108 - - This is a great opportunity to meet with employers and alumni, learn more about firms, and the recruiting opportunities
• 6 p.m.: Introduction of the Finance Industry and our alumni-led panels
• 6:15 p.m.: "Why Start your Career on the Sell-Side" - - Come hear a panel of alumni talk about careers on the sell-side of the finance industry including investment banking, sales & trading, and research. It’s also a great opportunity to start to distinguish between bulge bracket banks and boutique investment advisory firms.
• 7 p.m.: Break
• 7:15 p.m.: "Advantages of a Career on the Buy Side" - Although many students consider the sell-side an ideal place to start post Amherst, the buy-side of the industry has compelling reasons to start your investing career where the money is! Come hear from a panel of alumni representing asset management firms and private investing firms talk about their careers and why the buy-side of the industry is a great place to start a career.
• 8 p.m.: Networking
Monday, September 9
• 9 a.m. - noon: Office Hours for any employers in the Loeb Center
• 1-4pm: Office Hours for any employers in the Loeb Center
Students can pre-register through Handshake for employer offered office hours.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to learn about the industry, explore various career paths, meet with alumni and employers, and understand the fast-paced recruiting of the finance industry. No need to do back-to-school shopping in advance. There will be lots of cool swag handed out and catered refreshments. Also, if you are stressed out about updating your resume, PCAs will be on hand to review and approve resumes.