April 14, 2004
Director of Media Relations
AMHERST, Mass.-The newest dormitories at Amherst, under construction in the southeast corner of campus, will be named King Hall and Wieland Hall. King Hall, the more southerly of the two, will honor Stanley King '03, who served as president of Amherst College from 1932 to 1946. An anonymous donor provided the funding. The north dorm will be named Wieland Hall, in recognition of a gift from John F. Wieland '58, a real estate developer and philanthropist from Atlanta, Ga. The new dorms are scheduled for occupancy in Fall 2004.
The gray granite four-story buildings, designed by William Rawn & Associates of Boston, and built by Barr & Barr Builders of Framingham, Mass., cost a total of approximately $17 million. Architecturally, King and Wieland are reminiscent of the simple Puritan buildings of Amherst's historic College Row and reinforce a long-range view of the newer eastern campus. The relatively small floor plans, with a maximum of 15 single-occupancy rooms on a floor, are designed to encourage community, as are ample common rooms and living areas on the ground level. The dorms will house 115 upper class students.
King and Wieland Halls represent the latest step in Amherst's long-term Residential Master Plan to improve the residential environment in response to current and future needs and preferences in student living. The plan accommodates strategies for programmatic improvement, deferred maintenance, building code requirements and improved accessibility.
Amherst's goal is to house all first-year students together on the historic main quad. To that end, the college has renovated Williston Hall, and is renovating North College, South College and Pratt Geology, which is being converted into a dormitory. James Hall and Stearns Hall will be removed and replaced beginning this summer. Under the Master Plan, the college will renovate the remainder of its residential facilities over the next several years.