October 10, 2008
Contact: Donna M. Abelli
Development and Marketing Manager
AMHERST, Mass.—On Saturday, Nov. 15, the Emily Dickinson Museum will present “First, Do No Harm: Saving Your Historic Family Photographs,” an interactive program by archivist Daria D’Arienzo. Tickets for the program, which will begin at 2 p.m. at the Amherst College Alumni House off Spring St. in Amherst, are $15 in advance and $18 at the door.
D’Arienzo will discuss the issues surrounding saving family photographic treasures, from daguerreotypes to Polaroids, tin-types to albumen prints. Participants are encouraged to bring photographs about which they have preservation questions. Attendees will receive an informational packet with Web sites and reference materials for saving their photos. Refreshments will be served.
D’Arienzo, an archivist who served as the head of Archives and Special Collections at Amherst College for more than 20 years, is an active supporter of the Emily Dickinson Museum. She chaired the Homestead Advisory Committee for several years and now serves on the Museum’s Educational Programming and Policy Committee. “We are fortunate that Daria is coming back for another preservation talk this fall,” remarked Jane H. Wald, executive director of the museum. “Her archival knowledge and expertise is unequalled, and she makes it all so very accessible to those wishing to preserve precious family memories.”
The Emily Dickinson Museum: The Homestead and The Evergreens is devoted to the story and legacy of poet Emily Dickinson and her family. Owned by the Trustees of Amherst College, the museum is overseen by a separate Board of Governors charged with raising its operating and capital funds. The Homestead was the birthplace and residence of the poet Emily Dickinson (1830-1886), while the Evergreens was the 1856 home of the poet’s brother and sister-in-law, Austin and Susan Dickinson.
The Emily Dickinson Museum is located at 280 Main Street in Amherst, Massachusetts. The official Museum website is at www.emilydickinsonmusuem.org. Hours are March through December, Wednesday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, please call 413/542-2034.