- Schedule of Events
- Information for Families
- Information for Graduating Students
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tickets, Location & Weather
- Honorary Degrees & Awards
- Senior Assembly
- Celebrating with On-Campus Parties
2014 Honorary Degrees and Awards
Loading the player...
Political and cultural commentator David Brooks, Olympic gold medal-winning swimmer Cullen Jones, tech entrepreneur Thai-Hi Lee ’80, statistician and writer Nate Silver, contemporary artist Sarah Sze, the late American studies scholar and transportation expert Yasuo Sakakibara and former Amherst College Board of Trustees chair and businessman Jide Zeitlin ’85 all received honorary degrees from Amherst College during its 193rd Commencement exercises on Sunday, May 25, 2014.
- Hear the Conversations with Honored Guests, talks given by honorary degree recipients.
- Read about the honorees in Amherst’s news release.
Read the 2014 honorary degree citations:
2014 Medal for Eminent Service
Douglas Grissom ’89 received the Medal for Eminent Service. The award is presented to members of the Amherst community who have demonstrated extraordinary devotion to the college. Read the citation and learn more in Amherst’s news release.
Class of 2014 Honorary Class Members
The Class of 2014 elected the following Amherst College staff members to be honorary classmates, and honored them at Senior Assembly:
- Leykia D. Brill, Admission
- Tony D. Esposito, Dining Services
- Don Kells, Post Office
- Theresa Ryan, Campus Police
- Lourdes “Luly” Torres, Campus Police
2014 Swift Moore Teaching Award Recipients
Three secondary-school instructors who challenged, inspired and moved members of Amherst College's Class of 2014 will be honored with the Phebe and Zephaniah Swift Moore Teaching Award. This year’s recipients include: