Insurance Coverage for On-Campus Celebrations

As part of the space and tent reservation process, we ask that you sign a contract assuring us that you will obtain liability insurance coverage for your Commencement celebration.

The contract language states:

"That we will obtain comprehensive general liability insurance for all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses arising from the use of such tent and related space, with limits of $1,000,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and $25,000 per occurrence for property damage. If alcoholic beverages will be served, such insurance will include liquor liability coverage in the same amounts. Such insurance will name the Trustees of Amherst College and the other indemnified parties as additional insureds. We will provide the College with a certificate of insurance no later than 30 days prior to the reservation date. If the reservation is confirmed less than 45 days prior to the reservation date, we will provide the College with such certificate within seven days after such confirmation. We recognize that Amherst may request an updated certificate of insurance. We understand that our reservation may be cancelled by the College if such certificate of insurance is not submitted in a timely manner or is unsatisfactory in the College's sole discretion."

We recommend that you complete the space and tent reservation process and the signing of the contract prior to finalizing the procurement of insurance for the event.

For Commencement celebrations, we require liability insurance to cover the full event. Since all celebrations end prior to midnight, the liability insurance is for one day only. Each contracted celebration organizer is to obtain their own liability insurance. You cannot share liability insurance with another nearby celebration, or with the student hosting a celebration at your site on Friday or Saturday night.

Party holders have the option of using their homeowner’s or tenant's insurance with an extension or a rider. If that route is not available, you may purchase insurance coverage for basic events on campus through URMIA, an association of college and university risk managers. You can select our campus by using the school's full name: Trustees of Amherst College.