Graduating seniors, their families and friends, are welcome to host Commencement celebrations utilizing our outdoor campus space during Commencement Weekend. The tent/space reservation requests for Commencement 2017 will open on November 1. Early applications for space cannot be considered. While there is no charge for using campus space, all celebrations must be approved through the Events Office.
To hold on-campus parties at Amherst College, the following procedure should be followed:
- Nov. 1-Dec. 31 - Complete the Tent/Space Request form found online. Applications received prior to Nov. 1 will be voided.
- Jan. 1-15 - Sites are assigned. Once acknowledgment of site has been received from the Events Office, complete the Contract for On-campus Parties. The contract can be viewed on-line and downloaded for convenience.
- Feb. 1 - Completed and signed contract due to the Events Office. If contracts are not received by Feb. 1, the celebration site once again becomes available to others.
- Mar. 15- No later than Mar. 15, the received and completed contract will be acknowledged and signed by an Amherst College representative. Party planners should begin to procure liability insurance coverage and arrange for tent (if desired) with approved vendor, rent tables, chairs, generators, etc.
- Mar. 30 - Liability insurance binder due to Events Office.
- May 1 - Final catering form (included in the contract) due to Events Office
- May 1 - TIPS certified server's names due to the Events Office (only if serving alcohol.)
Party Hours - Campus parties can begin at 6 p.m. on the day of reservation and will end at midnight on the same day.
Space Unavailable - While we are able to arrange outdoor space for celebrations, we are unable to assign ANY indoor space for parties, this includes the Powerhouse. There are also some areas that are not available for outdoor gatherings, including the Main Quadrangle, Valentine Quadrangle, the courtyards at the Keefe Campus Center, Mead Art Museum, the southeast campus and the Yushien Garden near Webster.
Tents, Tables and Chairs - All Amherst College tents, tables and chairs are being used by the college for Commencement; if there is a need for these items for your own celebration, they can be rented from a select group of vendors who have been approved by Amherst College.
- Classical Tents, P.O. Box 401, Lenoxdale, Mass., 413/637-4215
- Hilltown Tents, 1592 Bug Hill Road, Ashfield, Mass., 413/628-4577
- Michael's Party Rentals, 409A West Street, Ludlow, Mass., 413/589-7368
- Northampton Rental Center, 59 Service Center Rd., Northampton, Mass., 413/584-5072
- Taylor Rental, 301 Russell Street, Hadley, Mass., 413/584-4184
- Vermont Tent Company, 14 Bernard Dr., S. Burlington, Vt. 802/863-6107
Tent rental companies will contact the college's department of special services prior to erecting tents and take care of the permitting process with the Town of Amherst.
Heat and Electricity - Amherst College is unable to provide electricity or heat for outdoor parties; please see the above rental companies for these needs. Extension cords run from dormitories are not permitted. Generators can be rented at the above rental companies.
Post-party Clean-up - If you are hosting a party on campus, you are expected to clean up after your own gathering. Clean-up occurs at the end of the party and appropriate refuse containers and bags are provided; Amherst College encourages recycling. Inspection the morning after should show a clean site.
Additional information can be obtained through the events department at 413/542-8094.