Graduating seniors, their families and friends, are welcome to host Commencement celebrations utilizing our outdoor campus space during Commencement Weekend. The tent/space reservation requests for Commencement 2017 will open on November 1. Early applications for space cannot be considered. We are still formulating the final requirements for the celebrations and are reviewing the fee structure. The Commencement Celebration Map shows all potential celebration site locations. All celebrations must be approved through Conferences and Special Events (CASE).
To hold on-campus parties at Amherst College, the following procedure should be followed:
- Nov. 1-Dec. 31 - Complete the Space/Tent Request form found online. Applications received prior to Nov. 1 will be voided.
- Jan. 1-30 - Sites are assigned. Once acknowledgment of site has been received from CASE, complete the Contract for On-campus Parties.
- Feb. 15 - Completed and signed contract due to CASE together with site fee. If contract and fee are not received by Feb. 15, the celebration site once again becomes available to others.
- Mar. 15- No later than Mar. 15, the received and completed contract will be acknowledged and signed by an Amherst College representative. Party planners should begin to procure liability insurance coverage and arrange for tent (if desired) with site specific vendor, rent tables, chairs, generators, etc.
- Mar. 30 - Liability insurance binder due to CASE.
- May 1 - Final catering form due to CASE.
- May 1 - TIPS certified server's names due to the CASE (only if serving alcohol.)
Party Hours - Campus parties can begin at 6 p.m. on the day of reservation and will end at midnight on the same day.
Space Unavailable - While we are able to arrange specific outdoor space for celebrations, we are unable to assign ANY indoor space for parties, this includes the PowerHouse. There are also some areas that are not available for outdoor gatherings, including but not limited to the Main Quadrangle, Valentine Quadrangle, the courtyards at the Keefe Campus Center, Mead Art Museum, the southeast campus and the Yushien Garden near Webster.
Tents, Tables and Chairs - All Amherst College tents, tables and chairs are being used by the college for Commencement; if there is a need for these items for your own celebration, they can be rented from a select group of vendors who have been approved by Amherst College. Space celebrations are grouped together and served by a specific rental company. Once your space is confirmed, we will communicate the vendor that services your area. The list below is the approved vendor list for Amherst College.
- Hilltown Tents, 1592 Bug Hill Road, Ashfield, Mass., 413/628-4577
- Michael's Party Rentals, 409A West Street, Ludlow, Mass., 413/589-7368
- Northampton Rental Center, 59 Service Center Rd., Northampton, Mass., 413/584-5072
- Taylor Rental, 301 Russell Street, Hadley, Mass., 413/584-4184
Heat and Electricity - Amherst College is unable to provide electricity or heat for outdoor parties; please see the above rental companies for these needs. Generators can be rented at the above rental companies. Extension cords run from dormitories are not permitted.
Post-party Clean-up - If you are hosting a party on campus, you are expected to clean up after your own gathering. Clean-up occurs at the end of the party and no later than midnight; appropriate refuse containers and bags are provided; Amherst College encourages recycling. Inspection the morning after should show a clean site.
Additional information can be obtained from CASE at at 413/542-8094.