- Participate in the bicycle registration program! The program, an offshoot of Operation Identification, has greatly deterred bicycle theft on the Amherst College campus. To participate in the program bring your bicycle to the Campus Police office. An officer will engrave your social security number on the frame of the bicycle, record the identification information and affix an identification decal to the bike. This free service, like Operation Identification, is available to all members of the Amherst College community.
- Always lock your bicycle. Bicycles should be locked around the frame and through both wheels to an object such as a telephone pole, sign or lamppost, bicycle rack, etc.
- Whenever possible, keep your bicycle inside; however, keep it away from stairways, ramps, elevators and exits.
- If you must leave your bicycle outside choose a well-lit, heavily traveled location.
- Find out if your bicycle is covered under your parent's insurance policy. If not, it would be advisable to insure it.
- Invest in a good bicycle lock or in a strong pad lock and chain. Chains should be case hardened steel with links at least 5/8" in diameter.