The Center for Teaching and Learning’s 2020 “Reflections on Teaching” invites four senior members of the faculty to reflect on their practice—to show us not only what they do, but also to take us behind the scenes and explain why they made the choices that they did over the years that they have been teaching. We will provide question prompts for their reflections:
- Why have you made the pedagogical choices that you have while teaching at Amherst?
- Has your teaching changed over the course of your teaching career at Amherst, and if so, why?
- There is an understood expectation that Amherst College teaching should be "challenging but supportive." Do you agree, and if so, what do these adjectives mean to you? Do you see any hazards with this expectation?
- How would you define good teaching?
- What do you not emphasize in your teaching that others seem to think is very important? What do you emphasize?
- Where do you hope that the college will go with its teaching mission in the next 25 years?