Air Conditioning Energy Conservation Policy
Cooling season is from May 15 to September 20 (depending on prevailing weather trends).
Applicable to most spaces (Offices, Classrooms, Public Spaces, etc.) in buildings with central air conditioning.
Why Conserve Energy
With energy costs skyrocketing it is imperative that the College conserve energy by adapting uniform temperature standards for its facilities. The above stated standard is consistent with code guidelines for comfort cooling and consistent with the standards set at peer institutions throughout the region.
Energy conservation does more than reduce the college's financial exposure. It reduces environmental and social costs as well. Energy conservation mitigates the numerous adverse environmental and social impacts associated with energy production and consumption. These include air pollution, acid rain and global warming, oil spills and water pollution, loss of wilderness areas, construction of new power plants, foreign energy dependence and the risk of international conflict over energy supplies.
During occupied hours the temperature shall be set at 76ºF (actual temp +/- 2 degrees F) for academic and administrative buildings.
- Occupied cooling hours shall be considered as 7am to 6pm.
- Unoccupied hours shall be considered as 6pm to 7am unless arrangements are made with Facilities Management or the Conference Office.
- Occupied cooling hours shall be considered as 7am to 6pm Monday through Friday.
- Unoccupied hours shall be considered as 6pm to 7am unless arrangements are made with Facilities Management or the conference office.
- Special Events outside the normal occupancy hours must be scheduled through Public Affairs or Summer Programs in advance according to their scheduling practice.
Exceptions to General Guidelines
Applicable to Spaces requiring A/C for reasons other than comfort cooling such as: Animal Rooms, Laboratories, Art Gallery, Archives, Computer Rooms, and Lecture/Assembly Halls. Temperature conditions will be maintained as required by each space, within the design limits of the HVAC equipment. Exceptions must be approved by the Director of Facilities.
Window and Split-System Air Conditioners
- All new units shall be Energy Star compliant; new units must be purchased through Facilities Management.
- All units must be turned off at the end of the workday.