Many different lenders are offering alternative loans, and one should consider applying for a private, alternative educational loan only after exhausting all other possible sources of funds. Each loan is different, so you should become familiar with the criteria, benefits, fees, and the margins above the index. If possible, the student should apply with a parent as a co-borrower; the co-borrower may reduce applicable fees and will lower your interest rate.
Be sure to maximize your federal loan eligibility before applying for a more expensive alternative loan.
Before choosing an alternative loan review the Tips for Borrowing an Alternative Loan.
Credible is a student loan comparison tool that enables students and parents to compare unbiased, personalized, and prequalified rates with no hidden fees and no impact to their credit. Credible is not a lender or a bank, Credible partners with student loan providers to offer a variety of competitive options. When considering a private student loan, it is important to compare rates, terms, and repayment options across multiple lenders to ensure you get a loan that fits your financial situation. Credible is free to use and your information will remain secure. You can find out more about Credible and begin the process at https://credible.com/amherstcollege
Note that you may borrow a student alternative loan through any program that you choose. The following list represents lenders from whom our students have borrowed during the past three years.
• Ascent Student Loan: https://ascentstudentloans.com/
• CHESLA (Connecticut Higher Education Supplemental Loan Authority): http://www.chesla.org/loan-basics
• College Avenue Student Loan: https://www.collegeavestudentloans.com/studentloans/undergraduate-student-loans/
• Credit Union Student Choice: https://www.studentchoice.org/
• Citizens Bank: https://www.citizensbank.com/student-lending/overview.aspx
• Discover Student Loan: https://www.discover.com/student-loans/
• LendKey: https://www.lendkey.com/private-student-loans/?sk=GGLLKBrand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZW8s4Xx2AIVhEsNCh1y4gxlEAAYASAAEgLGDfD_BwE
• Massachusetts Education Finance Authority (MEFA): https://www.mefa.org/
Disclosure: https://www.mefa.org/uploads/pdfs/Application%20Disclosure%20Effective%207.1.20 %20UG.pdf
• MPower Loans (for International and DACA Students): https://www.mpowerfinancing.com/
• New Jersey Class Loan: https://www.hesaa.org/Pages/NJCLASSHome.aspx
• Sallie Mae Student Loans: https://www.salliemae.com/
SoFi Student Loans: https://www.sofi.com/private- student-loans/
Disclosure: https://www.sofi.com/legal/# psl-asd
• Vermont Advantage Loans: https://www.vsac.org/pay/student-aid-options/loans/vermontadvantage
Disclosure: https://www.vsac.org/sites/default/files/uploads/pdf_resources/H18Advantage_Applic ationSolicitationDisclosureCurrent.pdf