The Federal Verification Process
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is the federal financial aid form that students complete to apply for all federal student financial aid.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Department of Education, you are required to provide us documentation that verifies the information you entered on your FAFSA form. Reasons for being selected for verification include: your FAFSA contains estimated information or inconsistencies, was incomplete, or it was selected at random.
Required documentation varies depending on the information we're required to verify. Typically, if your FAFSA is selected, you and your parent(s) must complete a specific Verification Worksheet and, if you and your parent(s) have filed federal taxes, you will need to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) or submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript. Please check the "documents" on NetPartner to determine which verification form is required from you. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, be sure to complete the verification requirements as soon as possible so that your eligibility for federal financial aid can be finalized
IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
If you did not chose the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) when you initially filed your FAFSA do the following:
- Login to fafsa.gov to “Make FAFSA Corrections"
- On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS’”
- On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
You will be unable to use IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- Your marital status changed after December 31, 2015
- You filed an amended return - submit a signed copy of your return directly to our office
- You filed married filing separately
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- You filed a foreign tax return - submit a signed copy of your return directly to out office
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return
IRS Tax Transcript Request Process
Tax filers selected for verification and unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval must request a Tax Return Transcript (NOT an Account Transcript) of their 2015 tax return from the IRS in one of three ways:
1. Request one electronically on the IRS website
2. Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts
3. File Form 4506T-EZ
Note: For electronic filers, an IRS Tax Return Transcript may be requested within 2-3 weeks after the return has been accepted by the IRS. The IRS Tax Return Transcript may take up to 8 weeks to be available for those who file paper tax returns.
Identity Theft Information: If you have been a victim of identity theft, you cannot obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript until the issue has been resolved by the IRS. Since resolution can take a significant amount of time, please provide a copy of the Transcript Database View (TRDBV) tax transcript to our office. You may obtain a copy of the TRDBV from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-4490.
Your Financial Aid Package after Verification
We are required to resolve any conflicting information discovered during the verification process. As a result, the amount and type of your financial aid may change after the verification process is completed.