- Financial AidFinancial Aid
- Contact Us
- Family Financing Options
- Financial Aid Calculator
- First-Year & Transfer Students
- Forms & Helpful Links
- International Students
- Net Price Calculator
- Notes Concerning Your Financial Aid Award
- Renewal & Upperclass Applicants
- Student Employment
- Study Abroad Financial Aid
- Taxable Scholarships
- Topics of Interest
Costs at Amherst
The following budget presents typical expenses for an Amherst student for the 2015-2016 academic year. This budget is used by the Office of Financial Aid to calculate financial need and to determine financial aid awards.
|Comprehensive Fee (tuition, room, and board)||$ 62,940|
|Other Student Fees||$ 832|
|Health Insurance* (waivable)||$ 1,771|
|Books and Supplies (estimated)||$ 1,000|
|Personal Expenses (estimated)||$ 1,800|
|Travel/Transportation ** (varies by location)||$ 50 - 2,500|
|Total Cost of Attendance||$ 68,393 - 70,843|
* Amherst College requires that all students participate in the College's health insurance plan or have comparable medical insurance. For students not covered by family insurance, the student expense budget is adjusted for financial aid purposes to include the College's plan.
** Costs for transportation—usually two round-trips home—is included above.
The College annually evaluates its fees and makes adjustments when necessary. Adjustments were necessary for the 2015-2016 academic year and may be necessary for subsequent years. Financial aid awards will always be based on the fees in effect during the year of award. Students who require financial aid because of changes in fees may apply for assistance in any academic year.
It should be noted that the comprehensive fee covers only a portion of your educational expenses at Amherst. A year of education at the College actually costs more than $89,000, but income from the College's endowment and from gifts and grants supplies the difference between that amount and the amount students are charged.