2017-18 Renewal of Financial Aid

Students wishing to apply for financial aid for the 2017-18 academic year may do so whether she or he is curently receiving assistance from the college or not.  The 2017-18 application for renewal of financial aid due date is March 1, 2017 (please note this new application date). Applicants should follow the 2016-17 directions below to apply - with the exception that the CSS PROFILE and the FAFSA forms should correspond to the 2017-18 academic year.  Tax and W-2 information for 2015 should also be submitted via IDOC.

Applications of aid recipients that remain incomplete after June 1 will incur a late fee of $50; after July 1, an additional fee of $50; after the due date for payment of the fall semester bill, an additional $50; and as of the first day of registration for the fall semester, an additional $100. All applications for aid must be received by the end of registration for the spring semester.

2016-17 Renewal of Financial Aid

Any student may apply for student financial aid for the 2016-17 academic year, regardless of whether he or she is currently receiving assistance.  The application deadline was April 25, 2016 for returning students, and November 1, 2016 for returning Spring 2017 students. Applications for renewal (or first time upper class students) will not be accepted after February 12, 2017.

To apply for assistance from Amherst College, you are expected to submit the following materials:

Amherst Application for Renewal of Financial Aid

Complete and submit the Amherst Application for Renewal of Financial Aid on-line.  Please proceed to amherst.edu/go/netpartner, and go to the Apply On-Line tab to complete the renewal application.  The same form is used by first-time applicants who will be in the upper three classes who are not currently receiving financial aid.

CSS/Financial Aid Profile for 2016-17

Complete the Profile with the College Scholarship Service (CSS) of The College Board and designate Amherst College to receive information from the form.  Amherst’s CSS code number is 3003.  The CSS/Financial Aid Profile website is profileonline.collegeboard.com.  If you reside in Ghana, request a payment code from the Office of Financial Aid in order to file the Profile form.

If you are a dependent student and your parents are separated or divorced, the Profile form should be completed by you and the parent with whom you live.  If you reside in the United States, its territories, or Canada, your “noncustodial” parent should submit The College Board’s Noncustodial Profile (NCP) after you and your custodial parent have submitted the CSS/Financial Aid Profile.  Information about the NCP will be sent to you soon after you submit the Profile.  You should forward the information to your noncustodial parent.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2016-17

If you are a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States, its territories, or associated states (Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and Palau), you must complete the FAFSA to be considered for federal financial aid. The FAFSA may be completed on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. After you submit the FAFSA, the federal government will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) with information about your eligibility for federal aid.  Amherst’s FAFSA code number is 002115. All federal aid eligibility is determined by the results of your FAFSA.

Federal FSA ID

You and, if you are dependent, one of your parents may use FSA ID to sign the FAFSA electronically. Each person must have a separate FSA ID.  You may create a FSA ID at www.pin.ed.gov. You may also use your FSA ID to access federal financial aid records, to make revisions or corrections to the FAFSA, and to view and sign loan records if you borrow a federal student loan.

Data retrieval Tool to Access IRS Information

We strongly encourage you, in completing the FAFSA, to use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to bring information from your income tax return directly from the Internal Revenue Service to the FAFSA.

During completion of your FAFSA on-line you will be given the opportunity to link to the DRT:

  • Enter your FSA ID number and click Link To IRS. §  You will not be asked to enter your FSA ID if you entered a FSA ID to begin your FAFSA.
  • Your FAFSA will be saved and you will be transferred to the IRS Web site.
  • On the IRS Web site, enter the requested information exactly as it was listed on your submitted return.
  • Once the IRS has validated your identification, your IRS tax information will display. On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
  • Click the ‘Transfer Now’ button
  • If you transfer your IRS tax information, questions that are populated with tax information will be marked with “Transferred from the IRS.”
  • Continue to the ‘Sign and Submit’ section of the FAFSA and submit your correction. You and a parent (if applicable) must sign the corrected FAFSA.

The DRT cannot be used by those filing as “married, filing separately”; by someone filing an extension or amended return; or a resident of Puerto Rico or the associated states, or if the home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return. 

You can access DRT about two weeks after filing an electronic income tax return or six weeks after filing a paper return.  If you submit the FAFSA before filing income tax returns, you may later update the FAFSA information by following the FAFSA correction procedures to access your income information from the IRS using the Data Retrieval Tool.

Canadian and other international students do not complete the FAFSA.

Income Documentation for 2015

Students Who Are Citizens, Permanent Residents of, or Reside in the United States

Submit income documentation through The College Board’s Institutional Documentation (IDOC) service. After you submit the CSS/Financial Aid Profile, you will receive information from The College Board on behalf of Amherst College about submitting documents through the IDOC service.

Students Residing in the United States or Its Territories

Submit copies of all federal personal, corporate, and partnership tax returns, W-2 and 1099 forms, and federal verification forms associated with applying for financial aid. Please do not submit state tax returns.

Divorced or Separated Parents 

In the case of divorced or separated parents, you may submit a copy of your noncustodial parent’s tax information with the other materials being submitted to IDOC by you and your custodial parent.  Alternatively, you may forward information to your noncustodial parent to submit directly to IDOC a copy of your noncustodial parent’s 2015 federal tax return.

The documents submitted through IDOC may include:

  • A signed and dated copy of all pages of your 2015 income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ).  You should also submit a copy of your Form(s) W-2 (or other wage statements), as appropriate, regardless of whether you filed or did not file an income tax return.  Copies of Form(s) 1099 should also be submitted.
  • A signed and dated copy of all pages of your parents’ 2015 income tax return(s) (IRS Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ), if you are dependent on your parents.  Include a copy of your parents’ Form(s) W-2 (or other wage statements), regardless of whether an income tax return was or was not filed.  Copies of Form(s) 1099 should also be submitted.
  • If your parents own an interest in a business corporation, submit a copy of the corporate return (IRS Form 1120, 1120A, 1120-S, and/or Schedule K-1).  If your parents have income from a partnership, submit a copy of the partnership return and/or a copy of the statement of partner’s share of income (IRS Form 1065 and/or Schedule K-1).
  • If you and/or your parents have been granted an extension for filing the 2015 tax return(s), send a copy of the extension request form to the Office of Financial Aid.  Submit a copy of the completed return(s) to IDOC as soon as it has/they have been filed, no later than October 15.
  • If you or your parents did not and will not file a 2015 income tax return, submit the appropriate Non-Tax Filer’s Statement, available from the Office of Financial Aid website, under “Forms & Helpful Links.”  Copies of any earnings statements (such as W-2 or 1099 forms) should still be submitted to IDOC.

U.S. Department of Education rules stipulate that you cannot receive federal student financial aid unless proper tax forms have been filed with the Internal Revenue Service.  Because of parity of treatment of all aid applicants, these rules also apply to institutional aid as well.  For further information, see “Tax Filing Requirements and Proper Filing Status” on our website, under “Forms & Helpful Links.”

Students Residing in Canada

Submit signed and dated copies of your and, if you are a dependent student, your parents’ 2015 federal income tax return(s), including T-4 forms directly to the Office of Financial Aid.  If no return will be filed, submit the appropriate Non-Tax Filer’s Statement, available from the Office of Financial Aid website, under “Forms & Helpful Links.”  Copies of any earnings statements (T-4 forms) should be included with the statement. 

If you or your parents own an interest in a business or farm, submit copies of appropriate income tax returns for each business or farm. 

International Students Residing Outside of the United States, Its Territories, or Canada.

Submit income documentation directly to the Office of Financial Aid, including signed and dated copies of your, and if you are a dependent student, your parents’ most recent national income tax return(s), if applicable, wages statements, or other documentation of income, including information about perquisites and benefits.

If you or, if you are dependent, your parents own an interest in a business or farm, complete and submit an “International Business/Farm Supplement” for 2016-17 for each business or farm.  Also submit copies of the most recent appropriate business income tax returns, if applicable, or other documentation of business or farm income and expenses and business or farm value and indebtedness.

State Scholarship or Grant Application

If appropriate, aid applicants who are residents of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont may be eligible for state scholarships or grants and are required to apply.  In some instances, filing a FAFSA is all that is necessary to apply for a state scholarship or grant.  Applicants should observe the specific application procedures and deadlines established by the various state agencies.

“Outside” Scholarships or Tuition Benefits

Information about any “outside” scholarships or tuition benefits to be received. Students who may qualify for “outside” scholarships should comply with all deadlines and special procedures.  Aid applicants who receive outside scholarships or tuition benefits are reminded that the Office of Financial Aid must be informed of any such awards, regardless of amount.

IF YOU WILL BE SEEKING ONLY U.S. FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID, such as a Federal Direct Stafford Loan or Federal Direct PLUS (parent) Loan, please submit the following:

  • Free Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2016-17, which may be completed on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Amherst’s FAFSA code number is 002115.

If you have questions about financial aid at Amherst or the procedure for applying, please contact the Office of Financial Aid, B-5 Converse Hall – (413) 542-2296 by cell phone or from off campus, or extension 2781 from on campus.

This page was last updated November 18, 2016.