Caring for your family while you are at work can often be a challenge. Whether it's after-school care, tuitors, caring for a child who is home ill or the responsibility for aging parents, sometimes you need additional support, even at a moment's notice. We know that life can be unpredictable, so to help alleviate life’s unexpected challenges, we have added a new benefit to support a productive work-life balance for all faculty and staff.
Care.com is a family care service that can help you find caregivers for your whole family, including your child, parents/grandparents and/or pet.
New Enhancements to Care.com - Effective September 1, 2020
Emergency Back-up Childcare
- Up to 10 days of emergency back-up child care per fiscal year when back-up and short notice care is required, such as the illness of your caregiver, stay at home spouse/partner, child, or when your current child care center is closed. This benefit should not be used as a replacement for routine child care arrangements.
- The College will subsidize a portion of the emergency back-up care and the employee will pay a small portion of the cost: $6.00 per hour for in-home care, and $15 per day at an in-center location, if applicable.
Expert Assistance/Concierge Services
- This enhancement to our current membership includes direct support from Care.com specialists to help employees find child care, tutoring, pet care and other services.
- Employees will submit a request and complete a needs assessment. com specialists will prescreen caregivers and conduct initial interviews. Staff and faculty save time in the pre-screening process and speak with a final selection of candidates. The final candidate chosen by the employee receives a background check before providing the service.
Current Care.com Benefit:
Amherst College covers the monthly membership fee for all benefits eligible staff and faculty. The membership provides access to a search database of providers for their family care needs, including care for children, tutoring, elderly adults and pets.
Here is some additional information about this benefit and ways you can take advantage of it:
Who is eligible for Care.com?
- All benefit eligible faculty and staff are eligible for the Care.com benefit.
What services are offered through Care.com?
- Self Service search for care needs: access to a search database of providers for your family care needs including care for an elderly adult, child, home, pet or tutoring.
How do I sign up for the Care.com benefit?
- To activate your benefit, go to amherstcollege.care.com and select “Enroll Now” or call 855.781.1303.
- You must enter your Amherst employee ID number to validate your employment. Care.com uses the seven-digit College ID number -- the number on your ID card without the two leading zeroes.
Is there a cost to use the Care.com benefit?
- There is no cost to find care providers on the self-service site. Once you hire a caregiver, the cost of care should be discussed with your caregiver.
Is there a limit to the number of times I can use the Care.com benefit
- There is no limit to the number of times you can use the self-service website
What will occur if I have a current Care.com account outside of Amherst College
- Visit amherstcollege.care.com
- Click “Enroll Now”
- When asked if you are new to care.com? Click “No”
- The prompts will ask you to enter in your credentials for your current account and may ask additional questions to validate as an employee
- Need help? Dial our member care team at 855-781-1303
How do I learn more about the Care.com benefit?
- You can learn more about the Care.com benefit by visiting our customized website- amherstcollege.care.com
Who do I contact if I have questions about Care.com?
- If you have questions about this benefit, please contact Care.com at 855.781.1303.