We recognize that this is an exceptionally challenging time for parents and caregivers. Below are resources, benefits, and information to help make this time a little easier as you balance your:
You will also find additional Community Services and Resources.
- Visit the Education category for discounts on a variety of services and products related to School Supplies and Early Learning
- Visit the Home & Family category for discounts on a variety of services and products related to Childcare and Eldercare
- Care services for children, adult loved ones, pets, and home
- Back-up Childcare
- Expert Assistance/Concierge Services
- Care Resource Center
- Mindfulness Practices for Children Help keep the child(ren) in your life calm and stress-free by encouraging them to embrace the concept of mindfulness. Although the idea may seem abstract at first, DeStress Monday has developed a number of tools that can help children, adolescents, and teenagers get a better grasp of how mindfulness practices should make them feel and can help them still their minds.
Move It Monday
- Physical Activities Parents and Kids Can Do Together Parents and caregivers have a lot on their plate. Not only do they have to mentor, cook, clean, monitor, and provide, but they also have a responsibility to themselves to take care of their physical health and mental wellbeing. But carving out time for a solo workout is challenging, especially when the kids are home. Fortunately, there are ways to include children in your physical fitness regimen so that you don’t have to sacrifice your workout time. By involving children, you can fit in bouts of exercise throughout the day, while instilling within your little ones healthy habits that they can carry with them throughout their lives.
Services and resources from the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), New Directions
- Caregiving resources
- Child and elder care
- Parenting children with special needs
- Help connecting with services
- Child and adult care services
- New parent services
- Visit the Health & Wellness category for discounts on a variety of services and products.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Visit the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) Mental & Behavioral Health Resource Center to find the right support for your mental health
Counseling sessions with Employee Assistance Program (EAP), New Directions
- Each member of the Amherst College staff and faculty—and their household members— is eligible for up to 6 counseling sessions per issue per year. This benefit is completely confidential and is at no cost to the individual. Please note that the EAP can provide support on any issue, there are no limits. In addition to emotional support, the EAP also offers crisis support, coaching, legal and financial consultation, substance use disorder education, adult and child care resources, leadership support, resources and referrals, and much more.
- DeStress Monday shares regular tips and guides to help you start every week with a positive frame of mind. Begin with the Monday Refresh practice and enjoy the benefits all week long.
Resources from the Amherst College Counseling Center
- The Counseling Center provides the Daily Well, a collection of short wellness practices, as well as the Self Care and Stress Reduction Resource Collection, with topics on stress management, wellness, and health living.
Read more about the Daily Well and visit the collection of practices.
Additional Community Services and Resources
- Amhest Food Pantry - The Food Pantry is available to residents of Amherst, Belchertown, Deerfield, Granby, Hadley, Leverett, Pelham, Shutesbury, South Deerfield, South Hadley, Sunderland, Ware and Whately, and to those who are experiencing homelessness.
- Amherst Survival Center - offering to-go meals, food pantry & mobile programs, fresh food distribution, community store, free health clinic, and a resource center
- Child Care Financial Assistance - Massachusetts's options of financial assistance to help pay for child care
- Community Action Pioneer Valley - An organization that offers leadership, advocacy, and concrete resources that support children, youth, individuals, families, and local communities to thrive.