Human Resources

List of Acceptable Documents for I-9 Form

List A


List B


List C

Documents that Establish Both
Identity and Employment Eligibility


Documents that Establish Identity


Documents that Establish
Employment Eligibility

  OR    AND  
1.  U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
 1.  Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address 1.  Social Security Number Account card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States
2.  Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)  2.  ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address 2.  Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 )
3.  Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
 3.  School ID Card with a photograph 3.  Certification or Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
4.  Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766) 4.  Voter's registration card
 4.  Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
5.  In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restriction or limitations identified on the form
 5.  U.S. Military card or draft record
 5.  Native American tribal document
6.  Passport from the Federated States of micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI 6.  Military dependent's ID card
 6.  U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
    7.  Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  7.  U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
 8.  Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  8.  Native American tribal document
  9.  Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
   For Persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:
  10.  School record or report card
  11.  Clinic, Doctor, or hospital record  
  12.  Day-care or nursery school record  


Illustrations of many of these documents appear in Part 8 of the handbook for Employers (M-274)

I-9 form (rev. 02/02/09)